Monday, June 28, 2010

Kitchen Reno Part 2: The good, the bad and the ugly

Now that we've seen the 'after's', here are my kitchen before's:


Like I said, not terrible, just not my taste. The cabinets were 25 years old and in need of an update. I was not a fan of the oak, and the cabinets were showing their age. The flooring was a bluish laminate. We moved the stove top off the island as I wanted a larger workspace there. We opted for a range vs a separate stove top and wall oven. I would have loved a gas range, but alas, we do not have the gas lines in our neighbourhood, and we didn't want to have to deal with having a tank outside that we needed to keep filled.



I was NOT a fan of this corner cabinet. I much prefer the corner cabinet we have now. It has so much more storage too!



A reminder of what my kitchen looks like now. You can see more pictures in my previous post. Notice the reconfiguration of the range. I now have a beautiful, big island which is great for prep work, baking etc. It also has room for one stool at the end. I would have loved to have had room for more, but we can't have it all can we?



Here we are at a during stage. I sure don't miss this! We lived in various stages of the reno for 4 months. We asked our cabinet makers to stage the reno. We removed a section of cabinetry and they installed the new, before moving onto another section. That way, we always had some storage and a counter space. We used MDF temporary counters while we awaited our granite countertops. We also kept our fridge in the dinette area and used the microwave and hotplate a lot for cooking. Our laundry room sink was our substitute for our kitchen sink. Luckily, our laundry room is pretty close (not in the basement, thank goodness!)


Notice how plain the cabinets look without that beautiful thick crown molding.




We opted for an undermount sink. Although it was more costly, I am so glad we chose this option. It is so easy to keep clean!



Ahhh, our crown moldings are up!




Although I love the look of range hoods, I think the cabinet makers did a beautiful job of incorporating the microwave above the range, and still making it look like a feature with the moldings and details.



I also wanted this same detailing to flank our fridge. I think it is details like these that give our kitchen a truly custom look.


We did as much of the work ourselves as we could: The hardwood floor installation, removing the old cabinetry, venting for the range, painting. We hired out the electrical, cabinets, and backsplash installation. Truthfully, we could have installed the backsplash ourselves, but at that point we were so sick of the reno and thought it would just be quicker to hire it out. We hired a retired couple who did tiling as a hobby. They were very reasonably priced.


Betcha thought I was done posting about my kitchen, but heck no! The third and final post is all about the custom details of the our kitchen. Thanks for sticking with me through my kitchen renovation!
Andrea


6 comments:

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...[Reply to comment]

So pretty! I bet you LOVE it now!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Your kitchen turned out gorgeous. I just love all the molding and your new island is wonderful. Beautiful granite. Great job. Hugs, Marty

FineArtPainting said...[Reply to comment]

actually, it was terrible and you've done a terrific job in transforming this space from drab to great!! amazing.

i wish you'd shared a bit of your HOWTO's with us (and would link these up here:
http://www.finecraftguild.com/diy-tutorial-linky-party-4/ ) as our readers would sure like to learn more about HOW you've put it all together.

thanks for posting!

rose
http://www.finecraftguild.com

willoughbywhimsy said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea-
What a transformation! Just lovely! Love the extra large island. So great for prep work and parties! Adore the backsplash!

Thanks for the stop-by!

Can't wait to see more projects!

Ellie said...[Reply to comment]

Everything looks great! I like that you showed the in-between stage without the crown molding. It really does make a difference! I'm definitely going to remember that when it's time to re-do our kitchen. Thanks!

designchic said...[Reply to comment]

What an amazing transformation...so pretty!!