Thursday, July 1, 2010

My Kitchen Part 3: The details

When first considering our kitchen remodel, I knew I wanted a French Country style, but with a timeless appeal. We don't want to have to renovate it in 10 years again! I have always admired white kitchens, and I believe they stand the test of time, and don't outdate quickly. Our remodel took 4 months. Everyone said it would be awful, but truthfully, it wasn't too bad at all! We had to completely gut our kitchen, but by doing it in stages, we were able to still maintain some functionality throughout the reno. Today I'd like to show you some details of my kitchen. We previously had a sunshine ceiling (yuck!), which we replaced with pendants and pot lights. I love having pot lights in the kitchen. We were limited in placement as there is a second floor on this house. We also placed over cabinet and under cabinet lighting. I love the ambiance it gives in the evenings. It was well worth the cost!


We opted for hardwood flooring. We saved some money by installing it ourselves, and we got the wood at a great deal. It does scratch and mark, but I think this just adds to the character of the floor. We placed this floor throughout the entire main floor for continuity. It is 'natural oak', bought at Costco (of all places!) a few years ago.


I highly recommend big drawers as opposed to cupboards. I put all my small appliances in them as well as my pots and pans, large mixing bowls etc. It is so much easier for access to these items.



We opted for granite countertops. Truthfully, I prefer the look of marble, and recently saw a slate counter that I thought was gorgeous. In the end, however, the low maintenance and durability won out. I wanted a natural stone, as opposed to Corian or something man made.
This pattern is Moss Green.





We added features such as the trim details on the side of the range and fridge. The added cost was minimal, but it adds so much to the overall design.




We don't have space for a walk-in pantry, but this is the next best thing. We had the cabinet makers install drawers that would hold extreme weight, and pull out quite far for easy access.
We also splurged on slow close drawers and cupboards. It did add quite a bit to the cost, but I absolutely love this feature and would spend the money again!






We used all the space possible. Even though these cupboards flanking the microwave are small, they hold spices, vinegars, oils etc which are conveniently located for cooking.








Another bank of drawers where there once were cupboards. We actually have very few lower cupboards now.





We splurged on custom inserts for some of our drawers. It keeps me beautifully organized!




Our kitchen isn't exactly small, but it's definately not huge. We really didn't have a lot of space for the microwave, so we put it above the range. I would have loved a beautiful range hood to have been a feature, but I've got to say that I think the design of this is wonderful. It still has the decorative features I was looking for, but also the convenience of an over the range microwave.




I really wanted substantial moldings. I love the rope detailing on them.





We were limited in the type of faucet we could buy as we already had the holes cut into our granite for a different faucet, which turned out didn't work. We searched high and low, and finally settled on this set. I think the pump style is pretty nifty!





Probably my absolute favorite feature in the kitchen, was actually one of the cheapest things: The slate backsplash. It was $3.50 a square foot at Home Depot. We looked at glass & tumbled marble tiles which were over $30/sq ft, but in the end, I liked this the best! BTW, it is called Tumbled Autumn Slate.




We opted for paneled doors. I do love the simplicity of shaker style doors also, but wanted this to be a step up. Be aware, however, this style of door is tricky to clean! The cupboards are Maple, painted in Benjamin Moore's Marble White. It looks white, but actually is more of a cream colour. I love this colour, and have started using it in some other rooms as trim colour.



One surprising splurge is our hardware. It wasn't that the hardware itself was expensive per unit, but it sure adds up fast when you need a lot of knobs & pulls. They are like the jewels of the cupboards though, so well worth getting what you love. I'm afraid I can't remember what style they are, but I know Lee Valley is carrying them. My cabinet makers were able to get them for me at a wholesale price through their supplier.
There we have it. 3 posts about my kitchen. It really deserved 3 posts, however, after all the blood, sweat and tears we put into it. We love our new space and I am so grateful for being able to have the kitchen of my dreams!
Andrea

4 comments:

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, it is beautiful! The before and after is amazing and I love all the little details. I think it definitely deserves 3 posts.:) Very nice...I love it!

Ellie said...[Reply to comment]

I'm new to your blog and can't wait to read your other kitchen posts! It's a beautiful kitchen! Love your style.

Robin's Nesting Place said...[Reply to comment]

I've enjoyed reading your blog today and look forward to seeing more of your renovations and home decor. I love the kitchen! I've been trying to build up the courage to paint my honey oak cabinets. Your kitchen is definitely inspiration!

Janet said...[Reply to comment]

I love the kitchen. I checked out all three posts. The crown molding is beautiful. I have been wanting to add crown to my cabinets since Layla @ The Lettered Cottage added tall molding to hers. The rope is beautiful. I love white cabinets.