Sunday, August 22, 2010

Inspiring Ideas

Last fall, I stumbled upon a blog which has filled me with so much inspiration, and left me pouring over past posts, dreaming of trying some of their wonderful ideas. Their blog, Kari & Kijsa, has been dormant for some time, but I still refer to it regularly for fresh inspiration. Two projects which they featured, I have replicated here.

While I strive to post original ideas, I also believe that part of blogging, for myself anyhow, is the sharing of ideas, whether new, or inspired by others. While many may have seen these ideas already, some may have not, and if I can pass along this inspiration to others, then I have fulfilled one of my missions in starting this blog. Ok, enough of the sappy stuff, and on to the projects!

My first project is this cute chalkboard painted silver tray. This is a thrift store find, bought for $1.95. It was the perfect size for what I had in mind. Check out Kari & Kijsa's version here.

I found chalkboard markers at Staples, and added a monogrammed F. I envision writing cute seasonal sentiments & inspiring quotes.

I used a sharp blade on the painters tape to get an exact edge to follow the curves and details of the tray, and simply applied two coats of blackboard spray paint.

When I saw Kari & Kijsa's boxwood wreath, I had a mission: I.must.have.one. I adore the classic simplicity. I searched for months, and finally found this oval beauty. I added this black ribbon, and will be making an F monogram (my first attempt with the jigsaw ended in disaster.....I'm waiting until hubby returns from working away to give me some much needed assistance!). I may modify the wreath with the seasons, either by changing the ribbon colour, or adding other embellishments.



Truly a wonderful place for inspiration, this Blogland!


Linking to my favorite parties!




14 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Love the tray and what a deal you got on it. I have got to get me some of those markers.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Love the wreath. I am crazy about boxwood all of a sudden. I didn't know they make chalkboard markers. I need to give it a try. Hugs, Marty

Jennifer said...[Reply to comment]

I love your tray!!!! can't wait to see your F wreath!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks so much for showing off your pretties and thanks for telling me about the markers...I'm off to get one!!! HAPPY NTT!!!

Blessings,
Linda

Lindy said...[Reply to comment]

That tray is so cute and imaginative! I love it.
L.

Lori said...[Reply to comment]

Great projects, I have done a couple trays. Coming over from Coastal Charm.

Sherrie said...[Reply to comment]

I didn't know that there were paintboard markers at staples. I have to go see. What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Angie @ The Country Chic Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous!! I think getting inspiration is all part of it!

Vanessa said...[Reply to comment]

I LOVE that tray idea and may just be stealing that one! :-) Great job!
Vanessa
http://southerninmyheart.blogspot.com

Vintagesouthernlife said...[Reply to comment]

Great projects. Thanks for sharing. I want to try one of those trays.
Annette

Debbie said...[Reply to comment]

Wonderful projects. So glad I ran upon your blog.

Terrell said...[Reply to comment]

Simply love these finds!!! Amazing!! Thank you so much for linking your wonderful creation up at Frou Frou Decor today!! Have a great weekend!
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

allison @ itstoilegood.blogspot.com said...[Reply to comment]

love the platter project! Have one sitting in my "possible projects" pile that NEEDS some chalkboard paint!

Hope the jigsaw trial didn't end in injury!!

Partying with you at Frou Frou Decor!

Camie at "Home is where they love you" said...[Reply to comment]

Love the platter...great job!