Thursday, August 12, 2010

Pewter Plate Remedy

When my grandmother sold her home, her treasures were divided amongst the family and I was lucky enough to adopt several beautiful pieces. One of these pieces is a cute corner cabinet and many of its contents.





I love the pewter tea/coffee set. I have always loved the look of pewter. It reminds me of something that would be found in an old English country home. I placed these small blue and white plates in with the tea set, and while I love the plates (also a thrift store find), they didn't seem substantial enough in size to really hold their own. I decided that the perfect solution would be to layer it with some pewter plates. In comes my mom, armed with treasures galore. She did indeed have several pewter plates, but alas, they were not big enough (as seen on the left side). In fact, they were even smaller than the blue & whites. We searched high and low for months for some pewter plates, but that type of thing doesn't come along often (at least in the thrifting world). Rather than settle on a different option, I decided to create my own pewter-esque plates.

Enter inexpensive white plates (seen on the right). I found these at a discount store. They were the right size, and I liked the pretty scalloped edge. I pulled out my handy dandy pewter spray paint and voila! You girls are always spray painting the most amazing things, so I thought why not? This should work, as the plates will not be used; they are strictly for display.



I think the result is pretty good. I am still working on collecting treasures for this space, but I'd rather find fabulous things slowly over time, than buy stuff just to fill a spot.

These hydrangea's were dried 25 years ago!!! They are from my grandmother's garden. I remember playing in this garden when I was a little girl, so these flowers are very special to me.


Here is the cabinet in place. It was the absolutely perfect piece for this corner. The cabinet was originally my great uncles, and then handed down to my grandma. She refinished it, but had lined the back with faux wood panel drawer liner (very 70's of you grandma!)


My solution was to re-line the back with Anaglypta, which I then painted the same colour as the walls so it would blend. It looks white here, but is actually more of a creamy yellow tone. I also replaced the velvet on the shelf, but I'm not sure I am lovin' the royal blue. I can forsee changing this out when I find the perfect colour. I was going for more of a french blue, but wasn't able to find anything suitable.

Not to worry, these actual pewter plates will find a home elsewhere!

Linking to my favorite parties!

9 comments:

Patti said...[Reply to comment]

Good idea with the faux tin back ground! I love that piece.

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...[Reply to comment]

You are so right in finding things slowing instead of buying things just to fill a spot. It makes a room look so much inviting and not so just put together. I love the hydrangeas. The color over time is lovely.

Moogie said...[Reply to comment]

I'm the newest follower of your great blog.

Kim said...[Reply to comment]

What a pretty corner hutch. Your pewter solution worked really well. Nice :).

♥ Sonny ♥ said...[Reply to comment]

well arent you the creative and smart one~! it all looks fabulous.. good on you thinking outside the box and preforming such a beautiful transformation.. its Beautiful.

hugs
Sonny

Pam said...[Reply to comment]

I like the idea of the faux pewter plates. That is so neat that you still have the dried flowers.

Anita @ GoingALittleCoastal said...[Reply to comment]

I love the cabinet and that it was once your grandmothers makes it so special!

Tracy's Trinkets and Treasures said...[Reply to comment]

I love pewter. I have some goblets my father in law gave to me. 24 yr old hydrangeas. How cool is that?

foxxy said...[Reply to comment]

The cabinet is lovely as well as the tea set.