Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sprucing up a Brick Fireplace

The idea of a brick fireplace doesn't thrill me. I far prefer a gorgeous stone fireplace or chunky white surround with a fab mantle. However, I actually really like this brick fireplace. Somehow it's not an ugly 70's style brick fireplace, but more of a rustic country style (at least in my mind!). It was still in need of some sprucing up and decorating, a task that wasn't proving easy for me to do. For 4 years I played around with different things on the mantle, but nothing seemed right. Since it's such a strong focal point in our family room, it was time it got the lovin it deserved.




Here it is in all its brass-er-ific glory. While I wish they didn't even put in the gas insert, as it hides the lovely arched detail, I must admit that it's awfully convenient to flick a switch for insta-fire. So the insert will stay. But on one condition: The brass has gotta go!!! It would be nice
to eventually get a custom insert that fits exactly with the arch.



We know it, we hate it, gotta get rid of it....brass.




Out comes the heat resistant black spray paint.




Up goes the tape and newspaper.




It's looking better already!





Let's say it together now: Much Better!!!


I had a vision of a rustic large basket filled with wood. I mentioned it to my mom who said she had the perfect basket which she found at a thrift store. It is just what I had in mind! I love the wooden base.

While not exactly the mirror I had envisioned (I love the round rustic wood mirror in Renovation Hardware right now, but I don't love the $500 price tag!), it is good for now. I did add some dark glaze to tone down the pewter look.

I placed my candlesticks and topiaries here, and found this lovely clock a few weeks ago. I don't normally go for the symetrical look, but this is workin' for me...I love it!


Although I spent the time to de-brassify my insert, I still didn't really love the look of it, so I placed this pretty screen in front. It was still worth going to the trouble of painting the trim black as the brass still would shine through the glass on the screen. I added a few more candle sticks and decorative touches, and I am happy to say that my fireplace is finally done. I love it! My family room still has some changes to go through. I am finally ready to get rid of my cheap lamps, and I am tiring of my sofa material. More on that soon!
Linking to my favorite parties!


UndertheTableandDreaming


20 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Oh I really like your fireplace and the mirror is wonderful. I always use minwax stain to change the appearance of anything that is too shiny for me. You might try that on something sometime to see how it works for you. The new screen is just wonderful. Hugs, Marty

Inspired by you said...[Reply to comment]

I really like your mantle. I wish I could figure out how to infuse the grays and pewter into my living room. It has such a gold undertone. I love the candlesticks.

Irma@CosasBellas said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea, I really like what you did!
We lost our business and our house when the economy took a plunge, and I really miss being able to decorate my fireplace for the season
(you can see a picture on my blog).
I love that BIG finial on the hearth, I'd ask you were you got it but it would be a long trip from the U.S. LOL
You did a GREAT JOB, enjoy your labor!

Hugs from California

Something Nice and Pretty said...[Reply to comment]

Very nicely done everything goes together well, your mom sure came thur for you on the basket!

Rondell

Orange it Lovely said...[Reply to comment]

I love it!!! Looks great. Love the basket and all the metals!
~Tana

Terrell said...[Reply to comment]

Oh wow!! It looks stunning, girl!! Great job! Thank you oh so much for linking up this sweet creation at the FABULOUS FRIDAY FINDS party today!! I hope your weekend is wonderful!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor~

Tricia Rose said...[Reply to comment]

That is such an improvement, so worth while doing the brass (and a much more conscientious tape and paper job than I have ever done!)

I think I know the RH mirror you are thinking of *sigh* - but you have done well finding a round mirror and bending it to your will~

Susan said...[Reply to comment]

Your fireplace is much improved!!

Kori said...[Reply to comment]

It looks really good! Just love that big basket. :)

Sherlyn said...[Reply to comment]

Very nice!

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

I know brick is not for everybody but I LOVE your fireplace!! I think it is beautiful and the way you decorated it made it that much better! One day you maybe could try a larger mantel piece on it then you may like it better. Either way I think it is gorgeous!

Julie said...[Reply to comment]

I think your fireplace looks beautiful! I love your mirror!! And the arch adds a lot of character :)

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...[Reply to comment]

Great job and amazing makeover! Love it! I'm your new follower!
http://lifeinthethriftylane.blogspot.com/

shopannies said...[Reply to comment]

wow that turned out very nicely love the appearance of your fireplace very shiny

Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea! Your mantel looks fabulous! I love the simplicity {and the basket of wood looks fantastic}. Thanks so much for linking to the Sunday Showcase Party. I have featured this today - stop by and grab a featured button if you like. Hope you are enjoying your weekend! ~ Stephanie Lynn

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@Stephanie Lynn @Under the Table and Dreaming

Thanks so much Stephanie (and everyone else for the nice comments!). I'll definately grab a button =)

Anu@My Dream Canvas said...[Reply to comment]

This is beautiful!! I m hosting a 50 dollar CSN Giveaway and would love for you to stop by. Thanks Anu!

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...[Reply to comment]

Just awesome girl..what a great change this made..love it..Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Sandra said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty mantelscape in the nifty arch...I really like the look...I am very symmetrical.

Brambleberry Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

I'm with you...out with the brass and in with the new. Your makeover is totally fab! Funny, I had a large brick fireplace with an arched opening in one of my previous cottages.

Thanks for linking your transformation tips to my party. I would love to have you join me for one, or all three, of my parties each week.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/