Sunday, August 15, 2010

Topiaries!!

I was in Victoria last week on a lovely little trip. Besides the beautiful scenery, beaches, inner harbor, museum etc etc, the city also has fantastic shopping!! One of my favorite stops is Chintz and Co. My husband always gets nervous when I shop there!



Just feast your eyes on this! These are only two little corners of this huge, two storey store.



I was a good girl, however, and didn't break the bank. In fact, I found a few deals. I bought some topiary supplies. I love the little moss type balls, which were only $1.29 each!





I already had several urns and other containers just waiting for a topiary. Previously I had bought real Myrtle plants in a topiary shape. These were lovely, but quite expensive, and didn't survive long (sigh). Faux it is.





I collected willow branches from our Curly Willow tree in our yard. I used florists foam as the base, and quite simply cut a piece of wood and stuck it in the foam, then stuck on the ball on top. Easy Peasy.




I used florists pins to tack down sheet moss on top. I would usually have used hot glue, but I thought I'd give this a try. It worked great, and no fingers were burnt in the process!








Ain't they sweet?



This urn sat empty in this spot for a long time, just waiting for a friend.



My new topiary collection.



The topiaries help finish off the dining room.




My fireplace has been such a tricky space for me to decorate. It has undergone many changes. I'm not normally a fan of brick fireplaces, but this one is quite unique and beautiful. I'll have to show you the entire thing once I get my mirror in place (harder to find the perfect round mirror than one would think!). My husband managed to fix my broken candle stick. It has a few chips, but it just adds to the rustic look.




I'm lovin the new Topiaries, and better yet, I'm lovin that I don't have to water them or worry that they won't survive!

Linking to my favorite parties!

27 comments:

Jeralee said...[Reply to comment]

I am bookmarking this and filing it in the crafts that I want to do! They turned out so well! Beautiful.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@Jeralee

and so quick and easy....I maybe spent 20-30 minutes on all these combined =)

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Oh my, that shop look like such a fabulous place. I could probably get in some real trouble in there. Your topiaries look fantastic and the moss balls were such a wonderful price. They are normally quite expensive around here. Yours turned out gorgeous. Thanks also for your sweet comments on the breakfastroom wall redo. I had a lot of fun with it. You asked about my round mirror that I previously had there. I actually bought it at a designer showroom close out about 15 years ago. I loved the frame and it is really large. It measures 42" round, so it is a good size. Sure wish I knew where to send you to get one, but I do understand your frustration, mirrors are hard to find I think. However I did see some really pretty ones with really nice heavy frames at Hobby Lobby. I don't know if you have one in your area or not. Good luck. Hope you find one. Hugs, Marty

Emily {Frilly Details} said...[Reply to comment]

Topiaries are my favorite and yours are just perfect!!! Great job :)

Betsy said...[Reply to comment]

Hi, I just love your topiaries especially the one with the crooked branch. They are so simple, yet add so much elegance to the room. I was in Victoria about 2 years ago and thought I had visited all the shops...must have missed this one. I want to go back now. Thanks for sharing.
Betsy

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

Very cute! Nice job and that shop looks like a taste of heaven! I love topiaries myself and you've reminded me that I have a bag in my craft closet with some moss covered balls that are just waiting to be topiaries. I just have to find some containers!

Marsha's Mpressions said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I love these! You did such a great job!

Jennifer said...[Reply to comment]

Those look great!!! Awesome job!

Rene said...[Reply to comment]

Oh I adore topiaries! Yours look great!

-Rene

Dragonfly Treasure said...[Reply to comment]

Loving your toparies!!
*hugs*deb

Vintagesouthernlife said...[Reply to comment]

Love your topiary collection. I have an urn that I want to make one for. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...[Reply to comment]

They turned out so cute, plus were so inexpensive.

Love the Decor! said...[Reply to comment]

I love Victoria and that shop looks like fun!!
Your topiaries are beautiful!

Ruthie said...[Reply to comment]

These are adorable! Great job! What a fun project! I made a topiary a couple months ago! They are so fun!

RE LOVED FURNITURE ADDICT said...[Reply to comment]

These look so cute!

Sharyn said...[Reply to comment]

Heart your topiaries! Have the supplies so you may have just inspired me to make one too. Look fab in your house as well.

Meg said...[Reply to comment]

I have a secret...I was never a huge fan of topiary's! But, I believe you have changed my views! Yours are so nice to look at....they are calming to me! Is that possible?? Maybe it's just the green and the wonderful urns you found! I love 'em.

I'd love it if you'd link up to my Friday link party!
http://alittleknickknack.blogspot.com/2010/08/blog-post.html
Have a lovely day!

Terrell said...[Reply to comment]

Hey girl! They are truly amazing!! I would have gone NUTS in the store...I'm so proud you were able to remain calm and walk away making these SUPER FAB finds!! Great job, sweetie..and thank you for linking them up to my party!
~Terrell @ Frou Frou Decor!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...[Reply to comment]

Oh how I love topiaries! They just do something, to a room. Love all of yours. I think I could make some of my own after seeing you do it. Thanks.
Brooke

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...[Reply to comment]

The topiaries look wonderful and that store looks fantastic! I am so jealous :)

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...[Reply to comment]

I want to go to that store! I love your topiaries...great job. :)

Room to Inspire said...[Reply to comment]

Your topiaries look great - I am a sucker for a good topiary any day! I like your idea about using the floral pins, I would have gone straight for the glue gun and burned my fingers like crazy! Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired this week.

Chelsea

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...[Reply to comment]

Just beautiful girl...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Lisa said...[Reply to comment]

So cute! I have a ton of milkglass in the shop, I'll have to snag some and make some of these topiaries!

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...[Reply to comment]

You did a great job with these! Very nice, that store looks dangerous too! :)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...[Reply to comment]

Topiaries are fabulous - you've done a great job!

Our really empty nest said...[Reply to comment]

Love these, sometimes, we have to be reminded how easy it is to do some of these great ideas for home decorating! Thanks for sharing Sue