Sunday, September 5, 2010

Home Tour: Laundry Room

We recently redid our laundry room and I have one question: Why did we wait so long?


I love the result. It is clean, functional, and looks so much better! Unfortunately I don't have any before shots, but imagine a room with old laminate flooring, walls the colour of bandaids, old cabinets with the door barely hanging on as the hinges had long since broken, a nasty dirty old sink and old washer/dryer that sounded possessed when it was used. Yuck. So here's what we did: You can see a snippette of the floor in this shot. We replaced the old nasty laminate with slate tiles. This room is a laundry/mud room and our entrance off the garage. It gets good and dirty on a regular basis, and this floor is fantastic for hiding the grunge until I can wash it.




One great thing about this room was that the previous owners of the house had installed the beadboard. We painted over the old bandaid colour. The bottom is Marble White, and the top is Nordic Grey, both from Benjamin Moore. I bought the large laundry basket at Canadian Tire, but added the decorative fabric trim myself.



We had the cabinets completely replaced as they were falling apart. Our cabinet maker convinced us to go with natural Maple, although I had originally wanted cream to match our kitchen. I don't mind the look (it's growing on me), but he's probably right in that it will be more durable (won't chip) and is easier to keep clean. He did build the upper cabinets very low which is great for internal storage, but makes use of the new countertop a little tricky. I had originally envisioned cute canisters here, but I really only have room for these few low baskets.



We removed the possessed ancient washer/dryer and replaced them with these lovely front loaders. This allowed us to put a countertop over top. While some choose not to do this, as the countertop height is higher than standard, I LOVE it! It gives me room to fold laundry and somewhere to put my junk when I come in from the garage.





I bought these baskets at Canadian Tire, and added the fabric cuff to them to pretty them up. I found the monogram tags at Michael's. It's a great way to keep organized. One basket per family member. No more mixed up mittens, hats, scarves etc.



I painted and distressed this piece of oak trim, and added hooks to use for our multitude of keys.



The closet didn't have any doors on it when we moved in, and I decided to keep it that way. While it does reveal the not so pretty coats and shoes, this is a mudroom afterall, and functionality has won out. It is a small room, and closing off the closet, plus the awkwardness of the doors just didn't appeal. I added this cute phrase above the closet door.








The deep utility sink was a great deal from Home Depot, and the faucet is lovely. I bought it at a 75% off sale. I love the fact that there is a pretty faucet in the laundry room, rather than the cracked, horrible faucet that was here previously. You know, the kind that has 20 years of gunge on it, and has a plastic spray nozzel that barely works?



I asked our cabinet maker to instal the same large crown in this room as he did in the kitchen. I just didn't add the rope detail to it. My new memo board now hangs proudly in this room.


We have also been painting all the doors and baseboards throughout the house, and changing all the brass door knobs to pewter knobs. We've been doing this slowly as we make our way from room to room. The cost certainly adds up, but it makes such a huge difference to the look of the house!

Next up in our tour: The living room. Stay tuned!

Linking to my favorite parties!

26 comments:

Cabin and Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

I love the functionality of this and it is completely beautiful! The decision to leave off the doors was a good one. I would love to have this room!

Ellie said...[Reply to comment]

Sure looks nice! Does it make the task of doing laundry a little less horrible?

Jane and Lou said...[Reply to comment]

Hello, nice to "meet" you. I found you via santa's gift shoppe, and had to have a little look around your sweet blog - I'm bordering on jealous about your laundry - I'm struggling with mine. Have followed for you, come visit me @ http://louandjane.blogspot.com/ Jane:)

Jennifer said...[Reply to comment]

It's gorgeous!!!! How pretty!!! I just know you are in love with it!!

Anticookiecutter said...[Reply to comment]

Great job! After we redid our laundry room, which is very small, I wanted to keep up with the laundry to keep it neat and tidy. Do you mind the low cabinets now that you've lived with it? I think I would have wanted the cabinets higher so I could throw the clean clothes on there and start folding - or do you have another place to fold your clothes?

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...[Reply to comment]

What an amazing transformation~ well done!

Kansas Amy said...[Reply to comment]

Great job!! -Your newest follower

Colleen said...[Reply to comment]

love it - that paint color is gorgeous. May have to snag that one.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@Anticookiecutter

I would definitely prefer the cabinets not quite so low as it limits the useability of the counter top. However, it's not worth the expense to change it, so I've learned to live with it =) Thanks for the comment!

Ninny said...[Reply to comment]

Very nice!!! I love your remodel. It is clean, and looks like it is so convenient. I might even like doind laundry if I had a special room like this one!

Liz

Brandy said...[Reply to comment]

I'm a new follower, love your blog!!! This laundry room is lovely. Sophisticated while still functional!!!

Ashley said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful laundry room! You did a fabulous job with that!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

What a nice laundry/mud room. My laundry room is very small and I am getting ready to repaint it for the third time and fix it up. It seems to become a catch all. Love your front loaders and cabinets.

A Garden of Threads said...[Reply to comment]

I love the laundry/mud room makeover. Mine is still in the basement. Have a great weekend.

Christie said...[Reply to comment]

This is lovely! The colors are great and it is so neat and organized! Coming over from Terrell's Fabulous Finds Friday!

C and Co. said...[Reply to comment]

Love it!!

Creative Decor by Brooke said...[Reply to comment]

Your laundry room turned out beautiful. I am envious of those great cabinets. I've been checking out your blog and I had to become a new follower, Yay! Thanks for sharing.
Brooke

Shelia said...[Reply to comment]

Congratulations on your pretty laundry room! It looks gorgeous and I'm envying those pretty machines you have!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Laura @ House of Thrifty Decor said...[Reply to comment]

Great job! I really like the paint color you used. Grey is becoming my new favorite color. Please stop by to my blog this Sunday for my Show Off Sunday Party. I would love for you to share your project with my followers. Thanks :)

http://houseofthriftydecor.blogspot.com/

Atticmag said...[Reply to comment]

I really like the nice big laundry sink and the sophisticated color scheme. It looks great with the cabinets and you have so many excellent and clever details worked out. Thanks for so many great ideas.

We have the sweetest Roxy bedding giveaway, $100 value and please join in our new Giveaway Friday! link up party. Jane F.

Brambleberry Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Your laundry room is beautiful! Not only does everything look well organized, the room looks inviting, as well. And I love the wall color!

Thanks for linking to my party. I would love to have you join me for one, or all three, of my parties each week.

By the way, I just joined you as a follower.

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

Terri @ em-belle-ish.blogspot.com said...[Reply to comment]

I just stumbled upon your blog and when I saw that you shop at Canadian Tire I immediately became a follower. So nice to find someone who lives in my "Targetless"- "Hobby-Lobbyless" world. I live in Alberta now, but grew up on the island. Part of my heart is still there. LOVE the sophisticated laundry/entry room. I have those same baskets but so LOVE the lining that you added. AWESOME job!

remodelaholic.com said...[Reply to comment]

We love this party link and I wanted to let you know that we are planning on featuring it. We hope that you get a bunch of new visitors.
www.remodelaholic.com

Nemo said...[Reply to comment]

Ah I found your site through Remodelaholic!
Love the new laundry! I have a huge laundry room too and it desperately needs a remodelling. I love the colours you chose for the walls. Well done!

Room to Inspire said...[Reply to comment]

Your laundry room looks great! I just gave my laundry room a new coat of paint and a few added accessories - and I love it so much more! It is amazing how much time I spent in there and never really looked around! Have a great weekend.

Chelsea

Katie said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful!!! Love the wall color. Would love it if you linked up to my Laundry Room Inspiration linky party! :)

http://bellacreativekatie.blogspot.com