Thursday, September 23, 2010

New or Used??

While I am still lamenting the loss of our beloved home, I still look forward to the exciting changes ahead. The biggest thought in my mind: Buy a home, or build one? We had always thought that our next home would be one we built, so we would get just what we wanted. However, it is much less expensive to buy a home than to build right now. I have found this dream home, which has an ideal layout for our family. It has such a charming country french feel. I adore it, and would be so lucky to live in a home such as this.




I am also drawn to the character and charm which comes in many older homes. Of course, if we bought a home, we would have to put our own stamp on it, but this usually just involves cosmetic changes......the fun stuff!

Showcase 2007 traditional staircase



If we build, or buy a newer home, my goal would be to add those special touches to add character: give the home 'good bones' with moldings and architectural details.

Showcase 2007 traditional family room

So, do you love the charm of a well loved and lived home, or the excitment of building a new home customized just for your family?

Red Barn Sudio traditional bathroom


All images are from Houzz






5 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Well, I have built 4 homes and they are fun, sometime rather expensive and not always exactly what you want either way. I think I have had better success buying a new home that has the floor plan that I love and at a price that allows me to make a few changes. Guess it all depends on what you find. Good luck, can't wait to see what you do. Hugs, Marty

Jeralee said...[Reply to comment]

It is nice to customize and build your own home... however it can be a headache in the building process, when things aren't done on time, or something that you thought had passed inspection, didn't.

I vote for used. :-)

Virginia said...[Reply to comment]

All those pictures just made me drool It's a lot of work giving a home good bones, but so much fun. I think I'd go for a new build, or an older home with some good bones, but bones yet to be formed ;)

Pink Roses and Teacups said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea! What a doll you are for sending me the information for the table! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it. We have an older 2 story colonial home, that's about 85 yrs old. We have done a lot of work in it, in the last 32 yrs. It has the charm of the original woodwork, and we like that it is built nice and solid. It would be great if you could find the layout you want, and add the changes to it. Much cheaper too I think. Good luck, and thanks again!

Debbie

Room to Inspire said...[Reply to comment]

In the ideal world, we would build a house customized to how we live. But there is definitely a draw to an old home with good bones!

Chelsea