Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Home Tour: Living Room

I have been delaying this tour until my table was finally ready. Now that it is done, and put into place, I will show you around my living room. As a kid, I never understood the 'formal living room'. I mean really, what's the point? No one uses them anyways. Well, now that I have kids, I get it. This is Mommies refuge. A place to put my pretties, a place to relax with a cup of tea while I blog or read, a refuge, if even for just 5 minutes, from the busyness of life. During our house hunt for our next home, I will be looking for a home with a separate living room and family room....a task proving difficult, as this is certainly not a popular style these days. Great rooms abound.

Get some coffee and get ready, as this has turned out to be one looooong post. Who knew a living room could have so much to say?

My room is far from perfect, or finished. I had many more plans for it, that alas, will never see completion due to our pending move. I started from scratch with this room as I didn't have a formal living room in my previous home. While it was fun to create the look, it was also daunting and overwhelming with such a large, empty room!

Before:



These are pictures from when we toured the home, before we bought it.


After:




Hardwood floors were a must in here. Otherwise, the bones of the room were already pretty good. There was crown molding, french doors, a bay window and nice chunky baseboards. We slapped on some paint, and it was a perfect blank canvas to fill.




The first thing I found was this fabric, 1/2 price at Chintz and Co. It was my jumping off point for the feel and colours in this room. I took a swatch to the paint store, and we complimented it with Benjamin Moore's Seaspray. While it is much lighter than the other colours in my home, I absolutely love it; it reads as a rich creamy colour, sometimes with green or taupe-ish undertones. The trim colour is Cloud White.


I started with two sofas, as opposed to a sofa and love seat. The room is large enough, and I prefer this look. I chose a cream sofa (call me crazy, when I have two kids) which is the perfect blank canvas, that will hopefully stand the test of time and changes in taste. You could easily add different style pillows to totally change the look. I am going for a more relaxed traditional feel, but add in some funky pattern and colour, and it could easily be more contemporary. I have exposed legs on my two side chairs, so I opted to have a skirt on the sofas. I added these pillows which I collected over time.





So now I had the seating, but not much of anything else. In came Grandma's furniture. This was a turning point for the room, as I didn't want it to look all matchy matchy, with new furniture. I wanted character and charm, and age. Her pieces fit the bill nicely.



I found this turned base table at a local furniture store for $100, which I thought was a great deal.

The round coffee table is from my favorite furniture store, Cobble Hill Fine Furnishings. I wasn't sure about my choice of a round table, but it's grown on me. You'll notice the lack of accessories on the table....still working on the details. I prefer a room that comes together over time, rather than thrown together quickly. The art work was a combination of gifts and a few found pieces. It takes me a while to find a piece of art I love. I am certainly not fussy about whether or not it's an artists proof, giclee etc. If I like it, I buy it. I also prefer not to have just framed prints on the wall. I'd love to incorporate some other cool wall decor...perhaps some salvaged materials??





My fern, oh, my fern. I am not a big fan of fakies...plants that is. However, this corner was screaming for greenery and after the umpteenth fern death, I bit the bullet and bought this fakey. It is from Chintz and Co, and is a high end (read-expensive) fakey. I like it, but I don't love it. The table it sits on may also be getting a makeover. Perhaps some cream or french gray paint? Distressing? I'm waiting until we move to see where its new spot will be and will then decide.


In my new home, I want to make my living room space a little less stuffy and formal. I still love the bright, feminine space but with perhaps a few more fun accessories thrown into the mix? It's fun to think about all the decorating possibilities in my future!

I love my 'grown up' living room!

Linking to my favorite Parties!





41 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

This room is so beautiful and clean and serene to me. You made it so pretty and then you have to move? I hate moving even though it is fun to decorate a new place. Great job you did.

Creative Decor by Brooke said...[Reply to comment]

Looks beautiful. You did a great job with it.
Brooke

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

Beautifully done Andrea. I love your paint colours- my whole house was cloud white at one point:) Also loving your light sofas, fabric on the curtain panels, and mix of new/old- definitely makes the room warm and inviting. I'm not one for matchy matchy either so love that your room has come together over time and I'm sure your new home will be just as lovely. We have that great room layout you speak of and at first it did make me crazy and I longed for a seperate living room that I could have as just mine and pretty- what I have discovered though is this layout can work with the introduction of one very important thing....basement finished playroom!!!! Now everything is down there and I get my pretty adult space upstairs- might be an option for you to look at when looking for a new home because I know that classic layout can be hard to find.
Great great job on your room:)

Erica said...[Reply to comment]

Everything looks very beautiful!!!! You did a great job! Thanks for sharing your photo's.
I always love seeing another Canadian Blogger.

Karie's Chic Creations said...[Reply to comment]

Very beautiful. You did a great job decorating. Love your taste. Thanks for sharing.

housefinally said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty, great job! Ann

the cape on the corner said...[Reply to comment]

what a cozy, comfortable space. no offense to the previous owners, but waaaay better than the before, right? great job!

Kat from California said...[Reply to comment]

I like to make things come together over time too. Life is always evolving. Now that I don't have toys in the living room anymore, I have enjoyed fixing this and that in my living room. We recently had laminate wood put it. What a huge difference over our yucky carpet.

Have fun with your living room. I love the round coffee table.

mishebe said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, looks great.

Pam @ diy Design Fanatic said...[Reply to comment]

Really beautiful! You did a great job with blending the traditional furniture with the modern sofa and draperies!

Traci said...[Reply to comment]

Love all your colors - from walls, to drapes and everything else between! This is a big formal room and you have made it so cozy and inviting!

Gardening in a Sandbox said...[Reply to comment]

I really enjoyed looking at your makeover. I have a large livingroom similar to yours and I wanted to see how you placed your furniture. You have two large windows for lots of light. I see a couple of pieces that are very similar to mine too. Very very nice.

Katie @ On the Banks of Squaw Creek said...[Reply to comment]

I love this room! So classic looking, and the antique tables add character and warmth. Great job!

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...[Reply to comment]

That is so pretty! I love the last picture with the view from the french door. Beautiful room.

Patti's Artful Design said...[Reply to comment]

Your room looks so very inviting....wonderful decorating!

Jessica @ This Blessed Life said...[Reply to comment]

This looks super airy and relaxing. I love what you've done! (Found you via Remodelaholic.)

Amy said...[Reply to comment]

What an amazing room! I love the colors you used, as well as the fact that you incorporated Grandma's furniture. Great job!

Traci at ThreeDogsAtHome said...[Reply to comment]

Your living room came together beautifully. It feels light and airy but cozy at the same time. And now you are going to move? We have done that twice, finishing the house just in time to sell.
Thanks for sharing.
Traci

Becca said...[Reply to comment]

Love your new soft look. The paint color ... neutral colored sofas ... you pulled it all together beautifully, creating such an inviting space! *Becca*

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for joining my party!

kate said...[Reply to comment]

It looks wonderful - but you didn't mention how/where you chose your rug....?

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@kate We were searching for a good quality wool rug for months, and this was exactly what we were looking for at a fraction of the price. We found it at Costco, of all places, and I haven't seen them carry them since.

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...[Reply to comment]

Love your living room! That's just the sort of furniture that I like. Great job!

Envy My Cooking said...[Reply to comment]

So cute i love this. if you ever would like to be featured or would like to share a recipe or a find (re-do furniture) please come become a follower and email us...Great site

Pat said...[Reply to comment]

Absolutely beautiful living room. I love all your choices. Great B&A!

Rebecca said...[Reply to comment]

Loved seeing your living room-felt like I could step right in and have a seat-beautiful job!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Your living room is just gorgeous. Love your mix of antiques. Beautiful room. Hugs, Marty

ButterYum said...[Reply to comment]

I love the idea of two couches... and the two chairs are wonderful. I like the color scheme in your room so much. And don't get me started on your yummy tables - they're all so lovely. Nice space to have!!

:)
ButterYum

pk @ Room Remix said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, what a difference! Pretty, fresh, updated - great job!

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful room! Love your work.

come visit
cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com

spindlecottage said...[Reply to comment]

So is the wall color a soft green ? Just wondering as I may do some painting in the next month.

Heaven's Walk - said...[Reply to comment]

Lovely room, Andrea! You breathed new life into it! :)

xoxo laurie

Kristine at The Painted Hive said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, the after is amazing. So fresh and coastal almost. I love the lines of your sofa and armchairs.

Michelle Jamieson said...[Reply to comment]

Hi, I just re-did my living room and posted it too! I love your after! So refreshing - really pretty. I enjoyed your blog and followed you. I hope you'll take a look at my blog and decide to follow me too :)

Michelle
www.jamiesoninterior.com

Michelle @Shellsshabbyshack said...[Reply to comment]

Looks very soft and welcoming. What a beautiful room transformation!

Cozy Home Scenes said...[Reply to comment]

I have 2 bay windows in my house, but always at a lose at to how to decorate around them. I like how you used the chairs and the curtains in front of them. That's my favorite part of your room. It's all very lovely.

Maybe set up a "special room" that is just for the kids to lounge that they think is just for them. Some family friends had an unfinished basement. One side was set up for the kids including all their board games, a tv and their atari (hey this was the 80's) along with this really OLD couch and chair.

For some reason as we kids grew up, they didn't want us down there, but all of us have such fond memories of that room because it was our special place that was "off limits" to parents. Little did we realize then they didn't want to be down there. Perhaps your kids can have memories like that if you can find a spot for them.

Claire said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea- found your blog through another blog. Where did you find the sofas? I love them. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks-Claire

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@Claire
Hi Claire,

The sofas are from a company called Deco-rest, style 4727 in Wrangler Natural fabric. They are a Canadian company, so I'm unsure if they have any US stores. G'luck and thanks for the comment!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@Cozy Home Scenes
I definately hope to have a separate play room/family room in our new home. For now, we have a separate family room which is ok, although it's still joined to the kitchen, so needs to remain somewhat tidy (ish!). Thanks for the comment!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

@spindlecottage
It is so difficult to get a good feel for the wall colour on these pictures, but it's more of a buttery creamy colour. I usually go for darker taupes or greens, but I love this colour! Seaspray, by Benjamin Moore. You need to see a large sample, though, not just the small swatch. G'luck!

Blogger said...[Reply to comment]

If you're looking for a reputable contextual ad network, I recommend you take a look at Chitika.