Sunday, October 24, 2010

A Master Plan for the Master Bedroom

Ok, I may be a wee bit premature in planning for my Master bedroom, seeing as how we'll be moving soon, and have yet to find our new home; However, I have so many ideas a-brewin that I thought I would put them in writing here. After 4 years of major renovation in our current home, our Master Bedroom was the last to be done. It will never get its chance, as we will be moving soon (likely the spring, if all goes as planned). I did compile many inspirational photos of how I want my bedroom to be: Feminine, toiles, plaids, chintz, gathered bedskirt, pretty. My poor, dear husband. Guess he can always retreat to his shop for some good ole manly power tools and grease.

Here are my inspiration photos thus far:



Image: House Beautiful Align Left



I crave over the top, lush, beautiful fabrics with a hint o' pretty English Country charm. The rest of my home is 'pretty', yes, but more restrained and less frou frou. This is one area that I want to splurge & be a bit over the top!


Image from the Shabby Nest




And here are my choices so far:

Fabric for curtains & accessory pillows:


Bosporus Flax, as inspired by Sherry from Creations from my Heart. In fact, the following inspiration photo is from her blog, and has now become an inspiration for myself also!





Bedskirt:





Something along these lines. A plaid to compliment the drapery fabric. I currently have a box pleat style bedskirt, but I'm ready for a gathered skirt with a bit of pouf!


Bedding:





A Matelasse, such as the one pictured above at the Linen Place, in an off white is a common theme in my inspiration photos.


Bed:



Perhaps the North River 4 Poster bed by Martha Stewart.



Current armoire and bedside tables:


This set may be moved to our guest room. It depends on how the rest of the room comes together and what the layout of our new room will be. I don't really care for the sante fe vibe going on with this set, but perhaps that can be changed with a little paint. Simply by putting them in with the rest of the decor of the room, they may lose that southwest look and blend more in with my English Country theme?? We'll have to see about that.



Yes, that is my cats tail in the bottom corner.....always so curious and in the way!

I also don't care for matchy end tables, although these are quite functional (I love a drawer to keep my magazines and books hidden). I love the look of a small chest of drawers for a nightstand, or a round table. Hmmm, we'll see once this room starts coming together.


While I have typically in my last homes left the Master Bedroom until last to get 'done', I think I'm going to make an exception in my next home and prioritize our Master Retreat. Stay with me as my new decorating adventures unfold!


Linking to my favorite Parties!






























6 comments:

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

I am exactly like you- have been working on my house for a while and the master bedroom always seems at the bottom of the list- not sure why that is??? I also have a matching set of furntiure that we bought from the Art Shoppe when I was first married- I love the bed but am really not digging the matching night stands but if I ever spoke of selling, husband would kill me in my sleep (I alreday sold almost everything we own on craigslist lasy year so he is done with me selling stuff)- anyhoo...I vote that we both put master at the top of the list- we deserve it! I really like your inpsiration shots (especially the second) and the toile fabric is gorgeous. I'm going to be doing a post on my favourite toils this week- have you ever seen Manuel Canovas' toiles- amazing! I'll be excited to see your room come together- and I agree, girly pretty over the top all the way!

- Brittany said...[Reply to comment]

Ooo. Love your plans for the new master. I'm with you on not wanting to wait 'til last. FYI, we have the SAME bedside tables and I'm scheming to cut a freebie vanity in half and paint it. Pretty Handsome Guy isn't on board yet, but it was free afterall!

Brittany
http://www.prettyhandygirl.com

michelle@somedaycrafts said...[Reply to comment]

When you are done with your room, would you like to come to redo my room. You have great tastes!!!

Ann said...[Reply to comment]

Never to early to dream... when we were house hunting, I had a plan for every single home we looked at! I still have a bulging file full of "fave rooms"...even though most of them won't be needed now. Have fun!

La Vie Quotidienne said...[Reply to comment]

Hi...well there is nothing wrong with planning ahead, I have lots of file folders full of ideas for future decorating. I love the first bedroom; that combination of colors is my favorite, in fact I am using them, with some tweaking, in my family room remodel.(-: Come see me sometime.

The LadyBugs Garden said...[Reply to comment]

Very nice....