Monday, October 18, 2010

Pumpkin Rolls



We are lucky enough to have neighbours who supply us with organically grown vegie boxes and free range eggs every other week. This recipe for Pumpkin Rolls is from our friend Heather, who owns this farm, and they are divine!


I whipped up a batch of these this morning.....nothing quite like fresh warm rolls with butter.


Cut a pumpkin into chunks, and remove the pulp. Bake in a covered casserole dish for 2 hours at 350 F. Remove skin from flesh and puree or mash by hand.


Mix 1 tbsp yeast with 1/4 cup warm water and set aside.
Combine 2/3 cup scalded milk, 1 cup cooked pumpkin, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/3 cup melted butter. When lukewarm add yeast mixture and 2 cups whole wheat flour. Beat well then stir in 2-3 cups white flour. Knead the dough as you add the flour, folding and turning the dough over itself. Place in an oiled bowl and cover with a towel to rise until doubled.




Shape into 2-3 inch balls and place on an oiled baking sheet. Bake at 400 degress for 15 minutes.

After baking, spread with butter and enjoy the yumminess!



4 comments:

Christine said...[Reply to comment]

They look sooo yummy- sadly, I am totally useless at baking:(

Kathy said...[Reply to comment]

Okay these look wonderful -but have you ever tried with canned pumpkin? I assume that would work altthough I;m sure not quite as favorful

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I've only made these rolls once...today, in fact, so I'm not sure about the canned pumpkin, but I don't see how it would be any different. Certainly much easier! I opted for a real pumpkin only because they are so plentiful right now and my girls wanted to roast the seeds =)

Gillian Layne said...[Reply to comment]

Oh my goodness, I'm going to make those this Saturday! It's supposed to be rainy and cold--these will be perfect!