Wednesday, October 6, 2010

A Welcoming Entry

My lack of posts certainly hasn't been due to lack of projects, but rather to lack of completed projects. Well, I finally put the finishing touches on our front porch. We decided that the door really needed repainting and would make a big impact for potential buyers. We chose a similar colour, but in a high gloss paint. It was quite time consuming as my husband prepped it very well and it took several top coats. It was well worth the effort!



Here is the Before:





This picture doesn't really show just how badly the paint was chipping, and how dull the door looked. We had already previously spray painted the door knob plate in pewter (out with you, shiney brass!!!). We plan on doing the same for our doorbell plate.



After:







Love the new shiney paint. While we couldn't match the colour exactly, I'm happy with a more forest green anyhow. The colour is called Boreal Forest by Benjamin Moore, in Alkyd High Gloss Enamel which is what they recommended for a durable door paint. The oil based paint was a pain for clean up, but the durability should be worth it.


I also added my fall decor, with a few Halloween goodies (more to come!).



I love the classic sugar pumpkin, but also wanted to add some fun and unique squash and gourds.



The largest pumpkin looks quite cozy on this plant stand.


I also added a few new plants to my hanging baskets and urn. Love these decorative fall Kale.

Fall decorative peppers in a deep purple.

Winter pansy's in a vibrant blue look quite at home in these rusty hanging baskets and urn.




Madelyn and I had fun picking out pumpkins and squash at our local farmers market today. I also bought this rabbit there, which I had been admiring for quite some time.


Seems I have a rabbit theme developing.....he looks quite at home next to a welcome rock I painted during my decorative painting phase.


As you can see, the sun was shining and it was a beautiful warm fall day. The perfect day to finish off a project!!
Next up: Rainy day projects include finishing our stairway wainscotting, and Dry day projects included shutting down our pool and general yard clean up. Let's hope for some rainy days as they make for projects that are much more blog worthy!
Enjoy the season!


Linking to my favorite Parties!









9 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Love your new color and your decor is fabulous. Everything looks wonderful and so inviting. Hugs, Marty

Erin@likegrandmas said...[Reply to comment]

Came over by way of Kim's(Savvy Southern) and I am so glad I did. We have the same color scheme on our houses! I have been thinking of repainting my front door(and shutters) and love the color that you have. Too, your decorations look terrific!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Hello! Stopping by from Favorite Things Friday. My name is Andrea, too!!! Love your pumpkin display!!
http://www.inspired2cook.com

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great. I always use high gloss outside. I think it resists the weather better. You fall decor looks fabulous. Have a good one.

Gillian Layne said...[Reply to comment]

So pretty! We need to paint our front door as well. I love your color choice. Thanks for the heads up about the glossy paint.

Kathy said...[Reply to comment]

Ahh everything looks lovely -I love the old hanging plantar with the winter pansies

Debbie said...[Reply to comment]

Oh I love it...your pumpkins just are popping with color and fun on the porch!

Liz said...[Reply to comment]

visiting from its so very Cheri. Love your rusty hanging baskets! liz

Sozo Hair Design said...[Reply to comment]

Do you know the name of the exterior color of your house? I love it!