Monday, November 22, 2010

The Making of a Christmas Mantel

This year, I was inspired to create a woodsy, nature inspired mantel display. I started with a basic garland, that did have a few pinecones and berries already in it. I bought it 50% off at Michael's last year. These little suckers can be quite expensive!


I have it mounted to a board underneath, so I don't have to attach it to the actual mantel. The garland is going to end up quite heavy, so it needs to be attached, and the added bonus is the hidden hooks to hold our stockings.


Step two was to attach this fabulous garland on either side. I used a staple gun to attach the branches to the board underneath. I bought this garland in the summer, at one of my favorite stores, Chintz & Co. At $19.99 each, I thought it was an ok deal, considering this is an expensive store, and the garland is so unique and beautiful.


I then added two more wimpy, garage sale garlands, but they bulk up the overall look, and blend in very nicely. One of the garland has lights, which is a bonus!

I also added two Home Sense urns.



In each urn, I added tall sticks, and this cute faux lantern garland.



I kept the contents of the urn simple and natural, with just a hit of sparkle.






To the garland, I added pincones, pheasant feathers, nests, birds....basically whatever I had on hand that I thought would fit the theme.



















And my Christmas Mantel is complete! Now, if I could just get the rest of the decorating finished!


Linking to my favorite Parties!


21 comments:

Erin@likegrandmas said...[Reply to comment]

Nice full mantle Andrea, I love the little pops of red!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

That looks great. I love the brick and arch.

Madigan at madiganmade said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful. I love the feathers and birds mixes in.

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful mantel Andrea- I think you achieved exactly what you were going for- elegant woodsy. xo

Denise said...[Reply to comment]

I am loving the feathers you tucked in to the garland! Just beautiful!
Found you through the Shabby Nest!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Looks beautiful Andrea! I love the different garlands all layered together with the touches you added in- great idea about mounting it on a board too! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Jessica Hills said...[Reply to comment]

That looks SO good! Now I am really excited to start decorating for Christmas!

Honey at 2805 said...[Reply to comment]

You have a great mantle look...love the layers!

Andrea at Opulent Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

You're so clever, mounting that to a board! It's so pretty, too.
Cheers,
from the "other" Andrea :))

Grace @ Sense and Simplicity said...[Reply to comment]

Your mantel looks great. I love how full you have made it with all the layers. I just gave away my japanese lanterns and there you have faux ones done in gold and glitter to inspire me as to how I should have used them. Next year, I guess.

Jen said...[Reply to comment]

Very Beautiful!!
I love the natural look!

La Vie Quotidienne said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty and so practical to mount it on a board...now things won't keep slipping off. The icicles are particulary lovely. Just beautiful.

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...[Reply to comment]

Love the garland! Feathers, pinecones and berries. Right up my alley. So glad to have found your lovely blog. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted if you followed me back.
Have a great week!
www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...[Reply to comment]

What a fantastic idea to mount it to the board. If you have the place to store it - this is genius!

Gloria (The Little Red House with the White Porch) said...[Reply to comment]

Looks like you made a lot of beautiful layers on the mantle. Great job!
Best regards,
Gloria

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great and I like the layering effect! It has a natural rustic feel that I love!

NYCLQ said...[Reply to comment]

Beautifully done! The feathers are my fave!
Great shots too!!

:D Lynda

Karena said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea,

All of this adds to the very special holiday mantle. The mirror behind addsso much to the glamour!

I have a $200 Giveaway from Fifi Flowers!
Do come and enter!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

The Mulberry Girl said...[Reply to comment]

Great idea using the board. It looks beautiful!

Patti's Artful Design said...[Reply to comment]

I like the woodland look for your mantel....bringing the outside in is always so beautiful!

Charlotte said...[Reply to comment]

Your feathers and pinecones are picture perfect.