Monday, November 8, 2010

Organizing your Inspirational Ideas

The Inspirational Binder, or How to Downsize your (massive) Magazine Collection:


I'm sure I'm not alone with this problem: Stacks and stacks of magazines. But they're oh so inspiring, and if I get rid of them, I may want to refer to them one day, right? Well, with my upcoming move, one thing was forsure; the stack needed to be significantly downsized. While nursing my flu over the weekend, I embarked on a project that I have been procrastinating on for a while. I went through every.single.magazine.I.own. Let me tell you girls, that's alot. A lot.
After a mere 5 hours, I had removed the inspiring articles/tidbits/pictures from said magazines, and was ready to compile my inspirational binder.


Some of the victims of my purge, ready for a garage sale.


I have long kept a folder full of my inspiration for my home & garden. My husband created this garden journal & inspiration binder for me one year for Christmas. We often refer to past years, and use it for planning our garden. It also holds inspirational photos, magazine articles, and other odds and ends.

He placed the garden journal in a binder with plenty of pouches for plant tags, seeds etc.


He designed the pages to record the temperature, year, weather etc. So cute! (sorry for the lousy picture. It was the best I could get).

Previous, poorly designed decor inspiration folder.

While I also had a folder for my home ideas, it wasn't very user friendly. The papers would get mixed up and wrinkled, and I couldn't browse the pages easily. Instead of using my old folder, I decided to create a more user friendly binder. Try finding a 'pretty' binder in the store. Harder than you think. I bought this durable white one, and prettified it with a bit o scrap book paper. After all, a collection of pretty ideas deserves a pretty binder to store it in.



I bought a stack of clear pages to protect my precious inspiring photos, and dividers to organize them into categories. I also have sleeves dedicated to paint chips, fabris swatches, etc. While I have a ton of inspirational ideas on my computer, from blogs, online catalogues, images etc, I love having a hard copy binder to flip through and become inspired. I also plan on creating a huge inspiration board in my new home (which will have a ginormous craft room, I'll have you know).


I have 16 categories, separated with these labelled dividers.

I love the functionality of my new, pretty inspiration binder. I love even more, however, the uplifting feeling of purging all those old magazines. Of course, I will still subscribe to my favorites (Canadian House and Home is an addiction for me), but I will keep them for the current year only, then sort through them, remove what I absolutely love, and recycle the rest.
Do you keep your magazines, or recycle them right away? Do you have a neat way of organizing your inspirational ideas? Do share!!
Linking to my favorite Parties!


12 comments:

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

Wow!! This is the kind of thing I always wish I would do but never do- I have stacks and stacks of magazines all pigeon eared all over the house...would love to have all that inspiration in one handy binder! I am very impressed lady!!

Jamie said...[Reply to comment]

What a great binder. I keep my ideas all over the place. In my planner, in the closet under the stairs, in a stack on my night stand, and scattered all over my desk. One of these days I will need to get everything organized and in one place.
Following you from Make It Yours.
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea! I have way too many magazines that I haven't even looked at yet. This is a great project. Thank you for the inspiration!

XO,
Jane

Blue Ridge Altered Art said...[Reply to comment]

Great way to organize all the clippings and ideas. Thanks for sharing. ~~Sherry~~

Susan said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea, Andrea. I need to do that. My magazine pile is starting to compete with Mt. Everest! Not good. ha Susan

allisamazing said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, that's an amazing idea. Thanks for sharing. ~Alana~

Sherry from Alabama said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful~and beautiful~idea! I have organized my to-do lists in a similar manner, but on a smaller scale. I found the link to your beautiful blog on Frugal Friday and I'm so glad I did! I've enjoyed my visit this morning.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea for organizing your magazine inspirations! I have lots of magazines that stack up too... there is always something you want to keep to refer back to! Love the binder idea- would make it so much easier and less cluttered! Thanks so much for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Brenda Kula said...[Reply to comment]

It feels great when one actually gets organized. These are great ideas. I love my magazines!
Brenda

Becky@OrganizingMadeFun said...[Reply to comment]

This is something I've also done! You could also scan them and keep them on your computer, but keeping that other stuff would be tough! I think you've done a great job. I usually get rid of my old magazines by posting them on church freecycler or giving them to the local library.

The Homesteading Apartment said...[Reply to comment]

This is such a great idea and something I've been thinking about for a while. I have so many inspirations sitting in piles, not to mention pictures from online blogs in my computer all waiting to be "handled." This might just be the time for me to get to it too (:

Michele
XOXO

Carolyn @ My Backyard Eden said...[Reply to comment]

Such a great idea Andrea! I used to do this before I had kids. I called it my "idea book", but unfortunately, now I just have a pile of magazines and pages I've torn out with ideas. I may have to create one of these!

Thanks for sharing at My Backyard Eden!