Monday, December 6, 2010

A Quilted Christmas

I have been quilting for many, many years. My first experience quilting was a course taken in 1989 with my mother. I loved that quilt, and used it until it literally fell apart. I hand pieced most of it, and hand quilted the entire thing. I always wanted to quilt more, but with 8 years of constant studying in university, many of my crafting desires were put on hold. After I graduated, I bought my own Veterinary clinic, which took up much of my time also, but finally I am in a position to really get back to my hobbies and the creative things I enjoy. I enjoy my work so much, but it is often fast paced, stressful, rewarding and sad. It is scientific, and technical. I balance it all with my love of crafting and creating. Quilting is one of my favorite hobbies. I take many courses each year. While I also love more traditional quilts, many of my favorite designs are more whimsical Christmas quilts & projects.

In fact, it was quilting that first introduced me to blogging. I stumbled upon Fig Tree, Simplify, and Bunny Tale blogs while searching online for quilting ideas. I then came to find home decor blogs through these, and a new obsession was born.

In years past, I made these cute Christmas quilt projects.

This is a Christmas card holder, designed by Nancy Holversen of Art To Heart.







A countdown to Christmas advent, appropriately sitting on my Grandmother's antique sewing cabinet.

Each year I try to make a few gifts. This years homemade creations are these Christmas pillows that I sewed:



I hope to make a set of cushions for myself. I also love classical quilt designs, that are done in creams, greens and reds to add a festive flare. No need for Rudolph or Snowmen, to make it Christmassy (although I do love these icons of Christmas also!).


I also made these Christmas Gift Tags, courtesy of Bunny Hill Designs.






I look forward to seeing your crafty creations this Christmas!



Linking to my Favorite Parties, and to the Christmas Craft party at Centsational Girl.









11 comments:

Southern Fried Gal said...[Reply to comment]

Awww - quilting makes me think of home. The angel is so sweet and the advent is clever!

Valerie said...[Reply to comment]

You are so talented. The Christmas card holder is great.

The Mulberry Girl said...[Reply to comment]

Quilting takes a lot of talent! Lokos like you've got it! Cute!

Erin@likegrandmas said...[Reply to comment]

Love the advent! That is so cool!

Josefa Lunares said...[Reply to comment]

Hello, Today I met your blog and I really enjoyed your house and your details, I have searched for if you had the google translator because I like to understand what you say in your posts .... do not understand what you write ... because I am a Spanish girl I just only to see the pictures, please put the option of a translator for people that do not translate very good English, as in my case. Has a follower and I invite you to walk through the mine when you want www.josefalunares.blogspot.com. Thanks and regards

Karen said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilted creations are beautiful! I especially like the countdown to Christmas advent and your grandmothers sewing cabinet is to-die-for!!

AmericKim said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful quilt and I adore the gift tags.

Mystica said...[Reply to comment]

I too like the gift tags so much.

I have posted my first giveaway on my blog. It is a gift card from CSN Stores. please do come and enter!

Becky said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful work!

Kathy said...[Reply to comment]

I love quilts -You do beautiful work --I am going to go check out the quilt blogs you mentioned

freckled laundry said...[Reply to comment]

Wow. Gorgeous, intricate work. I love everything and the card holder is certainly so much nicer than my scotch tape on doorway display! Thank you so much again for linking to air your laundry Friday.

hugs,
Jami