Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cleansing the Palette

If you've read my blog in the past few months, you'll know how much I love Christmas, and Christmas decorating. I always feel refreshed, however, when Christmas comes down and the home becomes airy and bright again.
The rooms can feel empty, however. Here are a few ways of conquering the post-Christmas decor void:

1. Flowers. Paperwhites and Pointsettas are a must in my Christmas decorating, but I always buy enough bulbs to start a fresh batch after the Christmas blooms have faded. I also transfer my Pointsettas into beautiful planters, and keep them as long as possible.




2. Keep the winter comforts such as throw blankets, extra pillows, area rugs etc. I do like to lighten things up a bit by using brighter colours for my throws and pillows, as opposed to my fall look.

3. Bring the outdoors in. While the bows and greenery have been removed, you can still bring in a beautiful branch, perhaps with rose hips still attached, or if you're lucky, with the first buds of spring. Why not spray paint the branch white, and place on your dining room table for a wintery, yet fresh centerpiece?



4. Now is the time to sort, purge and organize the home. While I try to keep on top of this year round, I find that there's something in the air after Christmas, that makes us all keen to cleanse our home's palette. Bright, fresh, yet still warm and welcoming are my goals for my winter and post-Christmas decor.

Do you change up your decor with the seasons? How do you fill your Christmas void?

Linking to my favorite Parties!

9 comments:

Linda said...[Reply to comment]

I like bare twigs. Very nice. Keep truckin.
Linda

Erin@likegrandmas said...[Reply to comment]

I am thinking changes...love those twigs, would look great in a crock I have, so thanks for the visual!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...[Reply to comment]

Love the blog design, I noticed it on Shari's site. And as for seasonal decorating, somehow after the holiday decorations are down I enjoy how simple the house suddenly looks!

Janell

GWENDOLYN KAY said...[Reply to comment]

I still have my poinsetta out , but my amaryliss is done for. I keep the throws and pillows out because it is still cold here in Mi. Brrrrrrrrrr. Thanks for sharing your ideas.
Blessings
Gwenny

Tricia - A Rosy Note said...[Reply to comment]

I love all of your ideas, especially the paperwhites and trying to get organized :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Love your ideas- I find myself thinking about calm serene rooms after the holidays too. Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Simply Bungalow said...[Reply to comment]

Great Ideas! Love the twigs.
~Heidi

blesid said...[Reply to comment]

I am trying to figure out how on earth I have missed your blog! Well no longer! Great tips, I think I go overboard getting rid of Christmas {no worries, it stays in my heart all year!} so thank you for the reminder to stay cozy! I clicked to follow so I don't miss any more of your great stuff ... and I'm gonna stay and browse for awile, hope you don't mind! :-) jules

Sue said...[Reply to comment]

I am still in the midst of clearing the last of the clutter from my home after the holidays- I'm aiming for a more neutral palette and a cleaner look to the decor, so I'll be checking paint samples soon. I need to have a ginormous yard sale because I'm really in a purging mood. LOL Even the furniture needs to go! Oh, and I'm still waiting for my paper whites to bloom!