Thursday, January 20, 2011

Defining your Decorating Style

It is natural to try to categorize yourself into a specific decorating style.  Whether you love Traditional, Contemporary, Country, Shabby Chic, Modern, Minimalist, Rustic, etc there is a category we all fit into.  Or is there? 

I would have categorized myself as French Country with a twist of Traditional and a splash of Shabby, however, I'm realizing I was wrong!!
I look around my home, and I realize that my style has been partly determined by what I am drawn to and purchase, but also to what I can afford, and what has been handed down to me or gifted to me. 

I see a wonderful French Country home, and just know this is my style:


Image: Decorpad

But wait, I see a clean, no frills room and love it too......


Image: Canadian House & Home

I do sometimes enjoy global chic:

Image: Candian House & Home


And love a good shabbified abode:


Image: Canadian House & Home

Help!  What is my decorating style?  Where do I belong?? 

Alas, I have come to realize that it is ok to love and embrace all styles in your home.  Your decorating style is not defined by categories, but by a combination of different pieces that you have gathered over time, and while it may be a contemporary couch, paired with toile throw pillows, or your hand me down modern bedroom set, amongst chintz and checks, as long as it represents you and what you love, then that is all that matters. Enjoy your own personal special style.  I prefer to keep mine undefined, but unmistakably me.

9 comments:

The Vintage Farmhouse said...[Reply to comment]

Love this post! Thank you for putting it that way!! I've struggled over my style for years. People would ask how I would define it and I never knew exactly what to say. Finally I decided on plainly calling it "Eclectic me" It's a dash of this and a pinch of that and there is no reason to have to shove it into some tightly defined category.

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

Great post Andrea and couldn't agree more- there's absolutely no need to pigeon hole yourself because your style is just that....yours!! xo

Erin@likegrandmas said...[Reply to comment]

Love your style and I too say that if you love what you have in your home, then it all works harmoniously, and you are a great example of that!

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...[Reply to comment]

Great post! I agree 100%. I always say I have said I have an eclectic design style...AKA dissociative DECORATING identity disorder. ;) But it's me!
~ Have I told you I LOVE the new look?

Seema said...[Reply to comment]

Neat post! Glad you were able to find inspirations in the pages of our magazine. Please feel free to link back to us at www.houseandhome.com.

Thanks so much!

Seema Persaud

designchic said...[Reply to comment]

I've said so many times that I need about four houses so I can use all the styles I love. Great post!!

Inspired by you said...[Reply to comment]

What inspiring photos. Glad to know someone else has a thing for chairs like I do.

Pieces From The Past said...[Reply to comment]

Wow what an inspiration! I love love love the first pic...Kitchen...I so would love to paint my kitchen,.I am still putting it all together..Looking at these blogs truly helps.!
Lisa
Pieces from the past

globetrotter said...[Reply to comment]

This is such a gorgeous blog and the photo's are lovely and inspiring.
What sort of font is the script that you use? It's so pretty!

Love of love,
-Sandra.*