Monday, January 24, 2011

Staging a Master Bedroom

The countdown is on:  we have to have our home 'market ready' for March 1.  Not only do we have projects to finish up in the main house, but we also have a Guest House, Shop, Tool Shed and 2.5 acres to spiffy up.  Yikes! 
We spent the last few days getting our Master Bedroom staged.  We have done nothing to this room since moving here 4.5 years ago.  I had big plans for this room, which you can read about here.  Unfortunately, those plans will have to wait for our new home.  To stage this room, I certainly didn't decorate or choose colours that I would have if we were to stay.  The name of the game is neutral, clean, and clutter free.  I had big plans for crown molding, new light fixture, all new furniture, new draperies and a soft blue/gray wall colour.  Instead we kept everything the same but paired down on the accessories, chose a soft green colour (at our Realtors suggestion) and de-cluttered.

After:


The wall colour is Nantucket Grey, by Benjamin Moore.  It is a really nice grey/green.  All our trim colour is Cloud White, also by BM.  We repainted the doors, baseboards and all the trim.  What a difference in cleaning up the space!

Before:



The walls were a hideous mustard yellow colour (why did I live so long with this awful, glaring colour!!!???)



The closet was a different minty green colour (ugh!)


All the electrical outlets and switches were a dingy beige.


The bed has got.to.go!!  I bought it more than 10 years ago, and I'm soooo over it.  Ditto for the bedding.  My little girl grabed onto the plastic swirly job on the bed and snapped it off.  Never liked that swirly thingamabop anyhow! I'll keep it for 4 more months though, until we're in our new place.  I want to see what type of room I'm working with before I get inspired to buy a bed and other furniture.



There's a beautiful bay window, lacking any window coverings.  I stripped those suckers off long ago-trust me, it was not pretty!





And to top it off, the hardware was brass. Notice the pinkish tinged doors.  No, this is not just the photo, they were this colour!


After:



Ahhh, pewter hardware, so much better!  We did invest a fair amount of money changing out the hardware in the entire house, but I think it was a wise decision as it has instantly updated the home.  Also notice the freshly painted door in my favorite Cloud White.



We didn't want to spend a lot of money on window coverings, so we opted for these bamboo shades.  I actually bought them before we found out we had to move, as they were in keeping with my inspiration room. That is our cute Guest house in the background (ooohhhh, I'm gonna miss this place!)



Admittedly it is a little bland and boring for my taste, but it is perfect for putting on the market:  Neutral and clutter free. Notice the white electrical outlets.  We've changed them in our entire home.  Another way to instantly update your home, and inexpensive if you can diy.



We repaired the bed, for now (that sucka is outta here when we have our garage sale, and the other furniture will be demoted to the guest room!!!).  Hmmm, I really need something for above the bed.  Good thing I'm going shopping today-I see a Sunburst mirror in my future!

Just a few accessories on top of the armoire.

It is so much more serene and peaceful, mainly due to the change in colour.  Such a simple thing as paint can completely change the feel of a room!
Only 2 bathrooms left to update, and we'll be market ready for March 1!! Phew, it's going to be a busy 6 weeks!

Linking to my favorite Parties!

11 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Your bedroom looks wonderful. I love the wall color and everything looks picture perfect. Hugs, Marty

All That Glitters said...[Reply to comment]

oooh......looks really pretty!! Love the wall color!

Chrissy said...[Reply to comment]

It is amazing what a fresh color and coat of paint can do to a room, isn't it? Your Master bedroom looks wonderful and move in ready. I pray you have a quick sell.

Red Door Home said...[Reply to comment]

Your bedroom is looking great. I understand the pressure in getting a house ready to sell. We once had a house which we were in the process of remodeling only to find out we had two weeks to finish. Talk about panic! We spent morning til night working. We go tmost of it finished but it was very stressful.

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great Andrea and happy selling!

Shelia said...[Reply to comment]

How pretty your bedroom looks. You did a great job. We've been changing out our doorknobs too. Who would think such a little thing would make a big difference.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea- it looks beautiful- I think the updates you did are wonderful and will help your house show well! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

Linda@Coastal Charm said...[Reply to comment]

Looking good...I'm sure it will all come together. Real Estate is our business...clutter free and great looking closets and curb appeal:)

Blessings,
Linda

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...[Reply to comment]

such a lovely room! love it.. great job!

Terry @ La Bella Vie said...[Reply to comment]

Oh dear , this is amazing! We'd have to do the same if we moved, we're on 5 acres, a house and an out building...oh heaven help me if I had to clear out stuff and stage!
Job well done though!
Terry

Nancy @ Ella Elaine said...[Reply to comment]

I am so glad I found your blog. My dear hubby and I are getting our house staged too. Our goal is to have it ready by March 1st. The work seems never ending. Somehow it helps to know someone else is going through the same thing too. You don't need a house in Texas by chance?