Monday, May 16, 2011

Great Room Idea Board

While you may question my impatience in designing a room in a house we don't actually live in yet, I have a sneaking suspicion that you would be doing the same....after all, us bloggers seem to have a wee obsession with all things home decor =)

I have spoken before about the traditional layout of our current home: a Family room, and separate Living room. While I've loved this layout, our new home differs in that it has one main great room. We do have a basement family room/play room which will be a fantastic spot for the kiddos, but the upstairs great room still needs to be somewhat family friendly.




Our current couches were included in our house sale (yup, you heard right, our house has SOLD!! hallelujah, thank goodness, I am so done with having to show the house and keep it pristine!) which is actually fine by me as I wasn't sure how they'd work in our new Great room space.

I've put together a few preliminary ideas for this room. I'm going for a relaxed farmhouse/English country vibe, with just a sprig of formality and prettiness.

Wall colour:

I'm loving Gray Owl, by Benjamin Moore:


but may go to a more creamy colour, such as our current living room colour, Seaspray:


The Sofa:


I've long had an obsession with English Roll Arm sofa's, and there's no time like now to finally indulge in one of these beauties. I've already discussed the details with the local Restoration Hardware store, and will be ordering one just as soon as we arrive:


While I love the feet on this sofa, we will be going with the slipcovered version in the more durable fabric (still need to keep it family friendly!). I will be ordering in the sand colour:


The armoire:

We are still in discussion about whether we are going to go with a console for our TV, or an armoire, to hide all the electronic bits. Jury is still out, but I'm awfully fond of this Pottery Barn piece:


It exudes English country charm.

The accessories:

Pillows and fabrics will abound:





Plenty of texture and natural elements:



 Pottery Barn


A fabulous fireplace screen and accessories:



Pottery Barn

And some Rustic and  Farmhouse finds:



Horseweathervane.com


It's a start, anyhow!  I am excited to see how it all comes together!

Linking to my favorite Parties!




9 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

I am loving it all Andrea! Martina

housedressingblog.blogspot.com said...[Reply to comment]

I've awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Go to my recent post to see what that means.
Lisa

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...[Reply to comment]

Congrats on selling your house! I was actually thinking of you yesterday and wondered if you started the moving process yet. I'm behind in getting around to blogs this week. This is fun being in on the planning stages of your new home decor. Love everything you've picked out!

Really Rainey said...[Reply to comment]

Oh I love your plans... and that sofa is marvelous!
Have a wonderful week end!
~Rainey~

Petie@inspirednesting.com said...[Reply to comment]

Good luck! Love the look you're shooting for. Glad your house sold :)

SallyLeeByTheSea.com said...[Reply to comment]

Looks like you have everything well thought out - I really love the colors you've selected, they will make the perfect backdrop for your furniture pieces. Great job!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous inspirations Andrea! How exciting for you and your family! Thank you for sharing this at FNF this week! Have a great weekend! :)

Deanne said...[Reply to comment]

It's fun planning for rooms in the future and then seeing it all come together!

Erin said...[Reply to comment]

I love all your choices!! You betcha I would already be decorating in my head. :)