Monday, July 11, 2011

A Dilemma Solved

Remember my TV dilemma?

There were varied opinions on what I should do; definately not a clear favorite amongst the commenters.

Well, I mulled over the decision and was ready to order the Restoration Hardware armoire, especially since they were having a great sale. We got into our new house, though, and I realized that the RH armoire was not the right piece for this house. I loved that armoire, but I just couldn't visualize it in here.

We immediately knew which was the perfect piece for this home:



Rat tail hinges and gorgeous original hardware.


Original finish complete with amazing patina.




Signed by the original owners. Enlarge the pictures above to see the french (the armoire is from Quebec) names of the Famille de Bellemare, first dated 1873!  They've listed their children and grandchildren's names on the cabinet, with the last date 1956. You just can't buy character like that from a new store!


We are thrilled with our decision. With this being a newer home (3 years old), I want to create charm and character to avoid that new build feel. We plan on using moldings and trims to help with this, but antique and vintage furniture pieces, mixed with newer finds will create that perfect eclectic balance I am after.

Thank you for all your input on my dilemma! You are an invaluable source of inspiration for me, and I truly appreciate your opinions!

Linking to my favorite Parties!

7 comments:

Inspire Me Heather said...[Reply to comment]

It's gorgeous!

christine {bijouandboheme} said...[Reply to comment]

It's lovely Andrea- adore the names written on the inside!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Such a gorgeous piece. Love the names, how special is that. Hugs, Marty

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Love this. I agree, you can't buy character like that in a store.

Susan said...[Reply to comment]

That is awesome!

May said...[Reply to comment]

Rat tail hinges?! You taught me something new today! What a looker!

Allison Shops said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! Love it, and that everyone has signed the back. What a great find!
Dropping by from Met Monday.

Allison
Atticmag