Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Few New (to me) Pieces

Part of the fun of moving to this new house has been finding homes for all our furniture. However, this house is almost twice as big as our last home, so there's many empty voids! I yearn for that collected over time, eclectic look (not to mention that we don't have unlimited finances to go to a store and fill our house!), so I hit the antique stores. I was also lucky in that my mom had a few pieces she was downsizing so she sent them along with us. Most of these will need a little spiffying up. Maybe some paint, perhaps a re-finish.....I'm going to live with it while we get some more major tasks done (such as painting the walls!) and then decide.



A lovely Welsh sideboard from a local antique shop.

It fits perfectly in my dining room (more like a dining nook, rather than a full room!). I have a gallery wall planned for above.




I love the handles, and the carved detailing.

A bookcase, given to me by my mother. It was $30 at a garage sale. The minute I saw it, I knew it would be perfect for my quilting fabric. This is definitely getting a coat of creamy chalk paint and some distressing.



How I love vintage handles!


Can't wait to get my hands on that yummy fabric (once I'm organized and unpacked, that is!)

A funky old pine cupboard. It reminds me of the one that Miss Mustard Seed showed us on her blog. However, as my husband pointed out, hers is much nicer =) It's smaller than hers, but has a similar vibe. I love this for my craft supplies. Love the cute hinges and the latch.

Here's my cupboard:


And Miss Mustard Seed's:

Do you see the similarity too? Pine, rustic....oh ya!




It stores all sorts of crafting supp's.

Finally, this old chest from a logging camp on Vancouver Island. My mother bought it when she was first married. There's even colouring in it from when I was a kid (now I am getting payback with my own children colouring on my furniture!). I greatly dislike the finish, but nothing a little paint won't fix up. Doesn't it remind you of this one built by Martha Stewart's team? Cool idea to use it as a filing cabinet too.

Mine:

 (great potential, but ucky finish)


It even comes complete with a funky odour, which I've been spending weeks airing out.  Happy to report that it's almost funk free.

Martha's:

Perhaps a conversion is in my chests future?

A few fun pieces to keep me busy once my chalk paint arrives! Still not sure if I want to paint the Welsh sideboard though. What do you think? Paint it (I'd likely leave the top stained and bottom a cream colour) or refinish and restain it?? I'd love to hear your opinions!!

Have a great day,

Linking to my Favorite Parties!

10 comments:

Courtenay@Creek Line House said...[Reply to comment]

So exciting! I'm moving into a new house too (in 2 days!!) and I hope I get as lucky as you with all the awesome new pieces. With the sideboard, I'd say it all depends on what else is in the room, I always like at least one good solid wood piece in a room like that, so if everything else is painted, I'd say leave it!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

I love them all, especially that glass front cabinet. You really have an eye for great pieces. Can't wait to see you transform them.

A Rosy Note said...[Reply to comment]

Those are some great pieces. I can't wait to see what you end up doing with them all. As for the sideboard, I would paint it, distress it a little and then wax it. That's just me, though :)

Inspire Me Heather said...[Reply to comment]

I love them all!! I wouldn't paint the sideboard but that's just me - the rest would look fabulous in chalk paint.

Edins House said...[Reply to comment]

Wonderful pieces! I love both the Welsh side board and your bookcase (great painting plan!), but the other 2 pieces are terrific as well. :-)
Victoria

Ange @ A Cream Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

I love the bookcase with all your fabric inside. Enjoy your new furniture. Ange

esss said...[Reply to comment]

A great way to organized what you find & shares in your blog...
College Essays

Jilly said...[Reply to comment]

Well, Such a wonderful collection and like to buy one of my new home. Your collection is very new and best for modern homes. It seems vintage looks.
usb

Krista@TheGatheringPlaceDesign said...[Reply to comment]

What great pieces! I love how you are using the chest. The sideboard is lovely as is, but your paint idea would be beautiful as well and sure would bring out the details on the bottom. I would say it depends on what is going on in the rest of the room. Can't wait to see what you do:)

Jennifer Golding said...[Reply to comment]

I found your blog recently, and was so happy to see that you actually live near me!!! I have read so much about chalk paint recently, and am ready to try it for myself. I live in Calgary, and was wondering, where did you order your chalk paint from?