Thursday, July 14, 2011

Mudroom: The plan

There isn't much to do in this room, as it has pretty good storage and I like the look already. Love the cubbies with the baskets. Love the slate floors, built in bench.

Where we are at now:

I'm happy with the storage, with one exception: I can see already that the bench is the catch all for back packs, coats (for those of us too lazy to hang them up, or too short!).

This lovely wall is just begging for board and batten, with some cool vintage vibe hooks and a small shelf on top to display pretties. Perhaps some wallpaper above? Stencil? Maybe just painted? Opinions??

My inspiration? This great B&B project from Home Stories A to Z.


Just the look I'm going for.

Also, I'd like to add a cushion to the bench, which I will sew a cover for. I'm thinking a durable sunbrella/outdoor fabric, to withstand kids and dirty/wet 'stuff'.

No area rug in this utilitarian space.

That otta do it. Now to get to work so I can show you the after!

6 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

I love mudroom spaces and have said that they should be standard in homes these days (at least homes with children who have a lot of activities/schoolwork/stuff!). I think board and batten would be a great addition, and I have found that it really curbs the "handprints on the wall" problem in my house. :-) I have become a board and batten junkie - love it, can't get enough of it!

{darlene} said...[Reply to comment]

ooh! fantastic potential!!

Shelia said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea! Oh, what a lovely space! I love the sound of you ideas and I'm sure it will look even more wonderful when you're finished.
Thanks so much for popping in to see me
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

THis is such a great space Andrea! Mudroom's are the perfect addition to any home.
Love the idea of beadboard. Plus it helps with keeping the walls from getting messed up.

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea! This is a great space. You are one lucky girl!

Edins House said...[Reply to comment]

What I would give for a mud room!! Your space is terrific, but I can see why you'd want some hooks and things. Looking forward to seeing what you do!
Victoria