Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Playroom: The plan

In our old house, we had what I liked to call 'The Closet of Shame'. It was a walk in closet FULL of kids toys. While I take no responsibility for aforementioned closet, and blame Grandparents fully, I nevertheless had a place to hide away the shame.

New house, no closet of shame. What's a mom to do? Enter, Kijiji. I was searching for a wall unit type of set up with cupboards on the bottom and shelving on top. I knew I could remedy any homeliness with paint and trim.
Luck! A free, large shelving unit, just to our specifications! Stay tuned for the transformation, in the next few weeks.

Where we are at now:




An amazing, huge space downstairs, next to the family room. It is meant to house a pool table/games area, but for this family, it will become the mecca of playrooms.
I am coming to grips with the fact that I can only prettify this space so much. The large, plastic toys will still be visible, and I'm ok with that. It is, after all, a space for my children to play in, imagine, create and enjoy. It is their space.

The plan:

Paint and trim out the cabinet. I am either going to paper the back (if I can find the right pattern) or paint it a soft blue. Baskets and organization are in the works. Think along these lines:


Oh, and giant poufs are a must, also.

A large rug, with a low pile for the play area. While I love seagrass and sisal, it will need to pass my comfort test as little knees will be kneeling on it and playing.


This Jute rug from Pottery Barn is lovely.  Need a feel-test first, though.

A large table for crafting and creating, complete with a large roll of paper (mounted on the wall) for endless artistic pursuits. 

A large, trimmed out cork board to display their specials on, and I love map images lately.  Perhaps a cool, enlarged bright map for some wall art.



Maps: Pinterest

I am seriously considering having the first map image blown up to a giant poster size.  I love the colours and variety of all those maps. They inspire adventurous travels to places unknown.

We should be getting started on this space fairly soon, and will show your our progress along the way!

Linking to my favorite Parties!


7 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

Fabulous room with oodles of potential! Really enjoying hearing about your plans and progress. :-)

Acanthus and Acorn said...[Reply to comment]

Great space to really have some fun...love maps...do blow it up, the kiddos and adults will enjoy it!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea!
I bought a lot of 80+ vintage maps on ebay and would love to wallpaper one or several walls with them.

They are all from National Geographic mostly. They have great colors and wonderful borders. This is going to be amazing in your room!
xx
A

Edins House said...[Reply to comment]

Love the room!! Love your ideas!!
Looking forward to following along as you bring it all together :-)
Victoria

classic • casual • home said...[Reply to comment]

What a fabulous space this will be! All the kids will want to come to your house to play!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

Wow again! Another amazing space. Love your plans for the room.

A Rosy Note said...[Reply to comment]

I have that rug in my downstairs family room and I love it. I can't really say that it's super comfy, but I think you'd like it too :)