Monday, September 26, 2011

I finally did it!

I finally tried out what so many bloggers have been blogging about: Chalk Paint. My first victim was a small table that I'm using in my sunroom as a coffee table. It was a freebie, and the stain was in rough shape. You can see a before here.

I took to heart that you don't need to sand or prep the piece before painting, and just slapped on the paint. It covered well, although it took 4 coats (as opposed to one, which is what many say is all that's needed). I used the clear wax, distressed, then re-waxed. I used Old White. I'm definately happy with how it turned out.




I also made a few little changes to the Sunroom.  I added this rag rug, in more autumn shades, and removed the firescreen that was here before.  It just wasn't in keeping with the rest of the room.



I added a button fern to the silver planter. It's sure enjoying all the sun this room gets.  Hopefully I'll be able to keep this one alive.  My past record with ferns isn't too great!



I also switched out the pillows, although I'm going to need another switch to some more earthy colours to keep up with the season!



This room is slowly coming along.  There's another large space on the other side of the sunroom which is not at all set up.  I hope to get that space completed by Christmas.  I am on the lookout for the perfect comfy reading chair, as well as a chest to store some linens such as tablecloths and placematts. 

Linking to my Favorite Parties!

Photobucket

14 comments:

Tammy@Beatrice Banks said...[Reply to comment]

You did a great job on that little table! I'm another slow starter who hasn't used the ASCP yet. I've got to give it a whirl. Love your sunroon! Especially the window pane and the basket of birchwood next to the fireplace! Well, and the sofa and everything else too. It's beautiful.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Love your little table and the changes in here. Cute fern. Not sure I have heard of a button fern. Don't know why it took four coats. I guess it can if you want full coverage. A lot of times people are sanding so much back off that they don't want full coverage.

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

The table looks fabulous. Such a great piece and I love the silver tray and planter. The room is totally stunning. What a great space. Hugs, marty

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great Andrea! That's such a pretty room! Martina

Kristen said...[Reply to comment]

Okay I am in love with this room! I am moving soon, and I am trying to find a cottage/rustic style home, I love this look, it's super cozy and chic! (I pray I find a house that can somehow reflect yours possibly).

Great job on the table, it looks great girl!

Atelier de Charo said...[Reply to comment]

Great job with that cute little table!

Charo

Sue said...[Reply to comment]

What a lovely area you have here, Andrea! So did you like working with the ASCP? It seems unusual that you had to use so many coats? Did you roll it or use a brush? I've had good luck with 2 coats when I didn't want the original finish to show. Did you see the recipes that are going around blogland for making your own version of chalk paint? I'm going to try the latest one I saw last week. Good luck with your fern. I tend to kill green things if I'm not careful. Am trying to be a more attentive gardener! LOL
~ Sue

Rosemary@villabarnes said...[Reply to comment]

You did a great job on the table. Your room is super cute.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

That is such a pretty room! It has the feeling of a rustic farmhouse. I love your new painted table too. I've never used chalk paint before but definitely plan to in the future.

Lynnifer said...[Reply to comment]

I really like your style !!

As for ferns - hmm, I don't seem to have much luck with them either. Except for rabbits foot and hen-and-chicken ferns. Those grow to the point where I get sick of having to continually repot them :-)

Deborah March said...[Reply to comment]

BEAUTIFULLY done, and what great legs...the paint, the chippiness...LOVE it.

Krista@TheGatheringPlaceDesign said...[Reply to comment]

Great job! I want to try out the chalk paint too...you're little table looks beautiful. BTW, I am quite envious of your sun room;)

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea, Thank you for sharing your table transformation at the Open House party. It is really a cute table and I like the Fall rug. I have always loved your stone fireplace.
Hugs,
Sherry

Youaretalkingtoomuch.com said...[Reply to comment]

Great job on the table! My readers would love to see your home and projects! Please share them if you get a chance! Love, Me www.youaretalkingtoomuch.com