Saturday, November 26, 2011

The Best Rum Ball Recipe Ever!

I've tried many a Rum Ball recipe in the past, with mixed success. This year, I tried a recipe that my quilting teacher gave me....and my.oh.my. YUM!


Image: Pinterest
I didn't take photos while I made them, as I wasn't sure how they'd turn out, but I would still like to share this recipe with you. A word of warning: They are easy to make, but a bit time consuming, and the cost of the ingredients will be more than your average cookie. It is well worth it, though, trust me!

Without further ado:

RUM BALLS EXTRAORDINAIRE:

12 oz semi sweet chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup almond paste
1 cup sour cream
pinch salt
8 cups finely crushed Mr. Christie Vanilla wafer cookies (I used the 'Nilla' vanilla cookies from Mr. Christie)
3 cups icing sugar
1.5 cups melted butter
2/3 cup cocoa
1.5 cups white rum
2 cups almonds (or pecans), crushed finely
chocolate sprinkles (or icing sugar to coat finished balls)

Combine ingredients 1-4.  Cream well and set aside.  In separate bowl, combine wafers and rest of ingredients except choc. sprinkles.  Mix until it holds shape.  Add 1st mixture and knead until soft. Refrigerate until firm enough to form balls, yet soft enough to pick up sprinkles. After making balls, refrigerate overnight.  Allow 2 weeks to mature (preferably in fridge, but I place mine in the freezer and they taste wonderful too).  Freezes well.  Makes 9-10 dozen.

Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think!  Enjoy!

4 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

And how good were you feeling while you were consuming the rum while making these?? Just kidding. I will have to try these. I have never made them. I have eaten them though.

Chardawneh said...[Reply to comment]

Are the almonds or pecans chopped, also will they "mature" while frozen?

Mom said...[Reply to comment]

One and one half cup of rum! Woohoo!!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...[Reply to comment]

yum yum! Sounds delish!