Monday, November 7, 2011

Ramblings on a Monday morning

This morning I find myself amongst a plethora of partly completed projects and I couldn't be happier about it. This new house of ours is finally starting to feel more like us. While our old house was, well, old-er, and had many downfalls to it, I absolutely adored it and miss it terribly. Why? Well, mostly because we spent 5 years making it ours. This new house is bigger, near brand new, fancier, and has a fraction of the character and charm of our old house. Things are slowly changing, however, and I no longer see this as the sellers home, with their furnishings and taste, but more of our home, complete with the character and charm that I so crave.

Here are glimpses of some of our projects in the works:



1. Yes, Project sew your own curtains continues. I have 1 panel (which took me utterly hours to sew, thankyouverymuch!) done and hope to finish the other 3 today (now that I have a system worked out =). We are making our own rods with some finials I had, so I need to cut the rod to size and stain to match the finial. I hope to have a reveal this week (but don't hold me to it!)



2. The shameful secret we hide in the basement, known as the Toy Beast, is almost tamed and caged in the 'new' wall unit. Wow, has this come a long way!! I can't wait to show you what an awesome job my hubby did of taking this from tres ugly to fab! Completion estimated for Thursday-Friday.




3. I was thrilled to find these herb crates at a local shop over the weekend. I've loved them on Layla and Kim's blogs. Only trouble is, the perfect spot for them is in the sunroom, but on the wall with the hardiplank siding. This is cement board and my hubby is not keen on putting holes in the siding. I don't blame him, however, as the holes can not be easily filled/touched up if we change our decor. I'm thinking command adhesive in ORB may do the trick. I just need to check on the amount of weight they can hold.




4. I have about 5 pieces of furniture ready for either paint, refinishing, or both! I found this piece on Kijiji, and my hubby bought me this antique table for my Birthday. Furniture stripping will need to wait until after baby is born (unless I can beg and plead for hubby's help), but chalk paint is fair game!

5. Call me crazy, call me silly, but I've actually started on a bit of this:



You may scoff now, but it usually takes me a few weeks to get it all 'up', and then I can sit back and relax and enjoy the season!

I've rambled long enough....perhaps I should get off the computer so I can actually finish some of these jobs!

Have a wonderful day!

6 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea that little table and hutch are beautiful! I can't wait to see what you do to them! As for hanging the crates, command also makes a velco that you can adhere to the back of the crate and hang it that way, you just have to ck on how much weight they can hold. Martina

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

I know with time, this home will be all you ever wanted. Think of it as an adventure. Sometimes when I feel our house is too small or too old, I try to remember all the fun {sometimes} times we had fixing it up!

I have those herb crates and I don't have a problem with the nails in the wall...I'm just not sure exactly how I want to arrange them and what I will put in them! Let me know if you have any ideas.

XO,
Jane

Annie Wilcox Designs said...[Reply to comment]

A girl after my own heart, we move in six weeks and after five years of making this home, the challenge is ahead. Kinda exciting.

Anne Sutton said...[Reply to comment]

I had the same problem with our "new" home when we moved in 4 years ago. I've been working on it when time permits but it's taking me forever. Our other home was "old" with much more character. You have such talent and I have faith that you'll get your home feeling like you very soon! I can't wait to see all the things you do.

French Kissed said...[Reply to comment]

Oh you do have your work cut out for you, but it looks like you are making good progress. It will all be so worth it when you have turned your new house in to a home. All the best,

Jermaine

Blogger said...[Reply to comment]

I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.