Thursday, January 26, 2012

Contemplations on Wood Trim

I adore painted trim work and doors. Thick, chunky moldings and base boards, creamy painted mantels, luxurious crown molding. Love it. Raise your hand if you agree. Check out these beaut's:



Images: Pinterest
However, I find myself looking up from my computer screen at a house full of wood trim. Wood doors. Wood baseboards. Wood is a predominant feature in our new home. You probably think I'll be painting them, right? Wrong. I love them.

But hold on a sec, didn't I just rave about the virtues of painted millwork?

Well, there is a certain type of wood trim that works. 90% of the time, I would say paint out wood trims, but here are my thoughts on why I think the wood trim in our house works:

1. The type of wood used.
Our door trim, doors, and baseboards are fir. It's beautiful, almost with a rustic, West Coast quality. Not to be a wood snob, but I've seen many a 70's-80's era home with oak trim. Oak just doesn't do it for me. When I see Oak trim, I think sponge painted walls and balloon curtains to go along with it. Check out this example of wood done right:


Lovely, thick door trim. I think this would be perfect in a rustic country home. (pinterest)


Our yet to be decorated mudroom. Fir doors and trims.  

2. The style of millwork.

Our millwork is a shaker style, with thick, substantial moldings. Narrow/thin wood trim? Thing of the past. If you're going wood, go thick. As a matter of fact, I'd say the same for painted trim. The bigger, the better.


Our Great Room. You can see the thick moldings around the doors. It may be hard to tell in this picture, but they are 6 inches wide.


3. Mixture of wood and painted millwork.

You don't have to do your entire home in either painted or wood millwork. In fact, our house has a mixture and it works. Painted trim around windows and feature walls (board and batten in the sunroom, bedroom etc). I wouldn't have thought this would look right, but this house has taught me otherwise.
Pinterest image. Wood door and white trim?  It works!

Our Sunroom.  Notice the wood french doors, but white (actually cream) window trim and board and batten.   In fact, with the exception of the basement, all of our windows have white trim.  It's the same style and thickness as the wood trims, just painted out.

4. The style of the home:

If I were to put a label on our home, it would be "West Coast Farmhouse". It is on an acreage, surrounded by other farms, horses, tractors, farmy smells on a windy day...you get the idea. The style, with the use of a lot of natural elements, such as local woods, wrought iron etc, is also quite West Coast (oh, how I miss our West Coast roots!). These huge beams that flank our entry, and are also a feature in our basement, would look oddly out of place if all the rest of the millwork was painted or more traditional in style. Wood trims just seem to fit the style of our home.



What do you think? Still a die hard fan of painted trim, or do you love wood trims of any sort? Or are you like me, and while you may generally prefer one style over another (in my case, painted trims), can you appreciate a different style when done right?

Linking to my Favorite Parties!





11 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

I totally agree with you Andrea. I love wood trim when it's done RIGHT, and yours definitely was. It's absolutely gorgeous. We have white trim for the first time ever, and I'm loving it too since we've had the ugly, puny, wood trim in the past. Chunky white trim makes me happy. :-)

Brenda Watts said...[Reply to comment]

Oh this is so timely..I am loving the mix of painted & natural, our old farmhouse has mostly original unpainted douglas fir trim plus some colonial pine around the newer windows a previous owner had put in. I have been wanting to paint my kitchen window trim white to match my newly painted oak cabinets, to tie them in to the rest of space but I wanted to leave the douglas fir wainscotting & french doors natural, they are old and have a wonderful rich patina I love..you have given me the push I need..Thank you. Your home is lovely.

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...[Reply to comment]

I also totally agree with you. I love lots of white trim and mouldings, but I am a totally in love with your style of trim, big, wide, transoms, gorgeous doors, beams etc., or what I think of when I dream of post and beam homes. Like the 2008 HGTV Dream Home. Swoon worthy.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I can definitely appreciate different types of trim when it goes with the homes decor. In your case, it goes with your style of home very well, so I agree that you should leave it alone.

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

I love painted wood and wood trim. We have wood doors stained a dark wood with white moldings and I love it! It fits our home, just like your wood fits yours!
blessings,
karianne

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

BTW....I can't believe you remembered those keys!
blessings,
karianne

chateau chic said...[Reply to comment]

I love wood trim, painted or not, the more and bigger the better. Your home is lovely!
Mary Alice

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

Your house is beautiful. I love all the wood trim and hope you keep it that way!

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...[Reply to comment]

Agreed. I love all your trim work and am glad you are leaving it just like it is. All about the style.

Diane said...[Reply to comment]

I agree with you too, wood trim done right and in the right setting works. Having said that I am also a sucker for wide trim around doors, ceilings, flooring painted white.

Sue said...[Reply to comment]

I can definitely commiserate with you on this issue, Andrea. I have dark stained trim AND solid wood stained doors. Much as I like the look of white trim and contrasting doors, there is no way I could possibly be able to re-paint every inch of trim in this darn huge house! Even the wood windows are stained! LOL So I will live vicariously through everyone else's painted woodwork and doors. Have you seen white woodwork and black doors? Looks great and is especially nice when someone has inexpensive pressed wood doors.
Glad I was able to give you some inspiration for your own terrarium. :-) Sue