Thursday, February 16, 2012

I shall call it: Farmhouse meets Rustic meets Folk Art...?

Whatever the style of this armoire is called, I love it. I have now banned myself from surfing Kijiji (for now =). Really, how much furniture can fit in this house without it busting at the seams?

But this one called out to me. I had to have it.


I have yet to style the top, and we have the other pull from the lower drawer.....just have to put it on.
It looked like a piece that someone painstakingly chalk painted and distressed to look old.



The best part? It actually was already like this. Not trying to look old and chippy....is old and chippy. Oh that's the best type of chippy out there!



It was bought at auction in New Orleans by a furniture refinisher here in Alberta. She brought it back up with her, using it for storage in her shop, but decided to sell it (lucky me!). Ironically, she's the local chalk paint dealer, so I had seen this piece before when at her shop, and admired it longingly (before it was for sale). She was told it was 80 years old, and while this paint finish isn't original, it was done many moons ago.

Love the funky colour, love how rustic it is. We had a young girl over when my hubby brought it into our basement. She looked at it like I was crazy to want this old, chipped up armoire. I explained to her, that when I was 13, I would have likely agreed with her, but my tastes have changed and I love  'cool old stuff'!

How about you? Have you always loved old and rustic with patina, or has your taste evolved over time (or do you not see the appeal of vintage even now?).

Linking up to my Favorite Parties!




Linking up my old, chipped up armoire to Nester's Perfectly Imperfect party.

15 comments:

Debbiedoo's said...[Reply to comment]

LOVES it! You lucky girl. It is gorgeous!

Mama Sue said...[Reply to comment]

Love it! I would have definitely not liked it when I was 13. I can remember not liking some of my grandmother's antiques as well. What I wouldn't give for those now!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, Andrea. I thought you had painted and distressed it with Aubusson. What a great piece.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

That IS a great piece! I can feel your happiness all the way from Canada. Ha! Isn't it wonderful to love something that much? I know you are going to really enjoy that piece. I like the story behind it too.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea I LOVE that piece!

Deserae said...[Reply to comment]

OMG!!! Your new armoire is beyond stunning! I just adore the paint color and the finish and well...just everything!!! LOL
Have a great weekend :o)
~Des

Heaven's Walk said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous, Andrea!!!!! You lucky girl!! :)

xoxo laurie

Finding Home said...[Reply to comment]

Love it - great find!

May said...[Reply to comment]

The color is great...I could find so many places for that!

Peggy57 said...[Reply to comment]

What a lovely piece and yes the best chippy is the original old and chippy. I'm visiting from French country Cottage.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

That is a beautiful piece, especially the colour. It looks well designed and constructed as well.

Dear Lillie said...[Reply to comment]

Absolutely GORGEOUS! I am super jealous, Andrea!

Nancy's Notes said...[Reply to comment]

What an incredible piece! It's truly lovely and the color is perfect!

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

I cannot believe you were cleaning out your storage room :) This piece is incredible! I love the patina....wonderful find!

Hope you had an awesome weekend!
blessings,
karianne

Mandy said...[Reply to comment]

oh wow!!! what a find!!! love the color...adding a little of this color to my house now and am loving the look!