Thursday, July 12, 2012

A 'New' Footstool for the Sunroom

I've had this base for a footstool (handed down to me by my Mother) for a few years now.



This was such a quick, easy project, that I don't know why I waited so long to get it done!

Here is the before:




And After:





I simply sanded down the old stain/varnish, and applied two coats of Tung Oil to the wood.

I love the tone of the wood, so I didn't want to stain or paint it.

Hubby cut out a thick piece of mdf to size, which I covered in several layers of quilt batting, and then this fabric {Santorini Sand, by Laura Ashley}.

I then glued on this sweet ribbon to trim it and finish it off.



I love it so much that I'm not sure I can bring myself to rest my tootsies on it; perhaps I'll just admire it from afar instead!


Linking to my Favorite Parties!

Metamorphosis Monday




9 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty Andrea!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Cute. I don't know why we put off simplre projects.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I love footstools and yours is perfect in there! Love the fabric you chose too. I think you did a great job doing it yourself. It looks like it came that way already!

Alison @ The Polohouse said...[Reply to comment]

Looks fantastic, Andrea!
Love that fabric.
Your little bunny is awfully
adorable there too... kind of watching guard over things, right!?

xoxox
Have a great weekend.
A

Silver Daisies said...[Reply to comment]
This comment has been removed by the author.
Silver Daisies said...[Reply to comment]

I have that same/similar footstool! I keep putting off redoing it as well! Yours is a little better condition-I blogged about it here http://dearwallet.wordpress.com/2012/07/12/treasure-hunt-1/

Windlost said...[Reply to comment]

I love it Andrea - such a nice job and isn't it nice to have a completed project that's been nagging for so long?! You have such lovely taste - the fabric is beautiful.
P.S. I owe you an email reply...! Soon!

xo Terri

Marcene Balderas said...[Reply to comment]

That was fairly easy! I don’t know why, but there’s just something about floral designs that makes it blend “seamlessly” with furniture. You know what? I just took a good look around my home, and I noticed that the only thing missing from my very homely living room is a comfortable footstool! I’ll have to be very careful though. My roommates are tough competition when it comes to relaxing on the sofa.

Marcene Balderas

Chase Conely said...[Reply to comment]

I love your sunroom, Andrea! I love the way you mixed the furnishings and played with its colors. Hehe! Anyway, have you posted a whole sunroom tour? Hope you'll let me see it. Thanks so much!

PS: That footstool is very attractive. I'll bookmark this tutorial and try to make one this coming holidays. :)

Chase Conely @ GMRoth.com