Monday, August 27, 2012

A Farmhouse Red Cabinet

The colour of our house has inspired my latest Chalk Paint project.

I fell in love with the colour of our home when I had only seen pictures of it on the mls. It reminded me of a red barn, and I soon came to call it the Red Farmhouse.




My Mom scored this great cabinet for $30 at a garage sale. I knew it was perfect to house my beloved collection of quilting fabrics. The finish was in bad shape, and in need of being refinished or painted.

Before:





I immediately enivisioned a barn red colour for the cabinet, similar to our house. Primer Red ASCP seemed to be a good fit.

After:



I have learned to not get worried when I first apply ASCP. The true colour isn't really obvious until it's dried, and if you use dark wax, it changes again. The Primer Red starts off quite pink, but turned out to be the perfect colour.

I'm not sure that I can squeeze in any more fabric.  Perhaps I should get to all those many, many quilting projects I have planned, and use some of this fabric up =)



I finally found a home for my David Winter cottages. I first bought one in the mid eighties as a Christmas gift for my Mom. I bought her several over the years, and was so proud to be able to save up the money to buy my Mom a special gift. In doing so, these cottages became special to me as well. A few of these are the actual ones I bought my Mom, and a few are others that she found thrifting. She was ready to part with much of her collection, but I wasn't, and now here they are!



I ended up painting one more smaller piece in Primer Red, which I'll show you soon.


This week my 2 eldest daughters start school. Madelyn is in Kindergarten and goes for 2 full days a week. To say I'm excited would be an understatment!! Just think of all the projects I can work on!



Linking to my Favorite Parties!



Furniture Feature Fridays

 

18 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

What a pretty piece Andrea and it's makeover looks beautiful!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

Love it, Andrea! With a little paint refresher it looks like it's ready to sit there and look pretty holding your fabrics. Great find, too, for the price!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...[Reply to comment]

i love it in the red and i love how playful it looks with all the fabric inside!

Cassie @ Primitive & Proper said...[Reply to comment]

i love it in the red and i love how playful it looks with all the fabric inside!

Cheyenne said...[Reply to comment]

i love this! I have cupboard envy. I absolutely LOVE THE COLOR!!!What a perfect little cupboard your mom found.

Oh, and the fabric stashed away inside makes me want to swoon.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Love that cabinet in its new color. Haven't used that color. I do have the other red. Yes, now you will have some time to do things you want while they are in school.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! I'm amazed at how much fabric you have! You definitely need to get busy, busy, busy! ha! Love how that cabinet looks with the new red color.

Deserae said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, it looks amazing in red....love it!
Have a great week :o)
~Des

Finding Home said...[Reply to comment]

So pretty! Perfect!

House on the Way said...[Reply to comment]

This is so cute! Red is my favorite color and the transformation on this piece is awesome! I'd love for you to share this at my linky party, Twirl & Take a Bow at www.houseontheway.com. I hope you can stop by and join in!
Thanks,
Leslie

Angie said...[Reply to comment]

Score! I would have grabbed that for 30 dollars, too! I love old cabinets so much...such history. :)

First time at your blog!

Jessica said...[Reply to comment]

Loved seeing all your pretty fabric! I have mine stored in baskets right now. I need to get something prettier like your cabinet. :-)

ournextgreatadventure said...[Reply to comment]

That is seriously THE cabinet I've been hunting everywhere for. I love how you updated it! Great color.

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...[Reply to comment]

Your fabric collection looks so pretty in the cabinet!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

That color is gorgeous!!! I have yet to try ASCP, but you may have convinced me now!

Andrea said...[Reply to comment]

That color is gorgeous!!! I have yet to try ASCP, but you may have convinced me now!

suzyq said...[Reply to comment]

This turned out just gorgeous!!!
Great job :)

Alison @ The Polohouse said...[Reply to comment]

How sweet is that cabinet with your perfect and VAST collection of quilting fabrics!!!

What a great find -- way to go MOM!!

Love the little house collection too.
Awesome job with the ASCPs.

xoxox
A