Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Cozy in the Craft Room

I am in the midst of so.many.projects. 

There are not enough hours in the day, I tell ya!

So in my typical fashion, I am bouncing around from room to room, hanging pictures, painting walls, refinishing chairs.....it goes on and on. I must exhaust my husband and kids =)

The past few days, I've been tweaking a special spot in the craft room.



I have had a cute alabaster lamp in need of rewiring and repairs for years, so naturally, yesterday I decided I must get it done.  Off to home depot I went to fetch a re-wiring kit. 

I'm sure there are many great tutorials on the web, but here are a few quick pictures to give you an idea of just how easy this is....no husbands needed!




First, I removed the old wire and socket.  I just cut the wire below the socket to get mine off since the wire was also being replaced.




Next, I fished the new wire up the base, and followed the instructions on the back of the new socket package, simply tightening the screws around the exposed tip of wire. 



The new socket just screwed onto the lamp, and the top of the socket sleeve slides over that.  Voila! I did initially think the old wiring looked fine, so I plugged it in, and some sparks and smoke later, decided it needed to be replaced!

The sections of the lamp had come apart, so I re-glued them with ceramic epoxy. It worked very well, and was super easy to mix and use. I am still planning on recovering the shade and will show you that next, since, you know, I have far more important things to be doing, so of course, I'll be spending my precious free time (ie when baby is napping and other two are in school) working on my shade.



The curtains were professionally sewn (ie major buckaroos) for my old house, and I insisted on bringing them with us when we moved.  Trouble is, our old home had 8 foot ceilings, and this home has 11 foot ceilings.  None of the curtains fit any windows even with the hem let out.  I was sitting  up in my craft room the other day and realized these ceilings are lower (since it's the bonus room over the garage) and there are two rather bare looking windows.  I rushed out and bought new rods, hung the curtains and am loving the new cozy look in here.  WHAT a difference adding draperies and fabric makes in a space.

Cozy, night time shots:




A few of my recent quilts, waiting to be finished, are hanging on the ladder.



I repainted the little table circa 93, and it may be time for a fresh look, although the green colour does go rather well in this space. The bottom holds a few of my quilting books.



I will be giving you another update on the rest of my craft room once I have completed a few other projects.  I have no less than 6 pieces of furniture to paint in here, a sewing project and a wrapping paper storage cabinet to build.  Stay tuned for the reveal in approximately 2 years or less (ok, I'll try for sooner, but no promises.....my lack of focus may take me to other 'emergency' decor projects in the meantime!)

Linking to:


 
 


8 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

What a warm, cozy spot, Andrea! I love your chair and your drapes are pretty, too. Kudos to you for doing your lamp. I don't think I'd have attempted it.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I am swooning over your curtains in that space! Your chair is so darling there too. I love the way the walls are clad in wood as well. Just BEAUTIFUL! So glad to hear that you were able to find a place to hang your curtains. They are perfect in there.

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

You really did a wonderful job with the lamp and your tutorial, I am impressed! It's very pretty! Your corner of the craft room is prefect for a place to sit, relax and recharge! And of course...contemplate your next project!

XO,
Jane

Jennifer said...[Reply to comment]

I am loving your chair-it is adorable! .....and I'm too scared to mess with electrical but I must say you make it look so easy! I wish I could do that.

Thanks for sharing!
Jennifer @ Decorated Chaos
http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com

sweet violets said...[Reply to comment]

I love your cozy nook...very inviting and you are so clever to rewire that lamp!!! Good for you!!!

Finding Home said...[Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh, that nook is adorable - and I am in love with the pleats and the pattern on that chair. What a great spot for you! Take care, Laura

Hilary said...[Reply to comment]

I want to get a book and read in that chair for hours! I love how cozy it looks :)

hardydanielle said...[Reply to comment]

I just love it!!! You inspire me :)