Thursday, October 25, 2012

My Second Hand Bedroom {and what it cost}

We are this close to finishing off the master bedroom. I have a vintage chandelier to hang, and I'd love a fab area rug in there (ok, and maybe some crown molding) and then we'll be fini.

I've done several posts on my bedroom (can you tell that I love it?) but thought it would be fun to do another showing all the second hand/vintage/hand me down items that I used in this room, and what I spent on them. 

Don't you wonder what things cost? What bargains others find, or if a room you admire on a blog cost $200 to decorate, or $20,000? No? Well, I do, and I thought I would share with you what we spent.

As I sit here writing this post, I can honestly tell you that I have no idea what we spent.  I have yet to add it up, so it will be interesting for me to see as well.

We started with nothing for this room, except for our mattress. I wanted a totally different look than the matching furniture we had in our last home (which is now housed in the guest room).  I looked to Kijiji, for much of my furniture in here, and was also lucky in that my family handed down some pieces also.  EVERYTHING, with the exception of the mattress/boxspring, some textiles, reframing pictures, and some accessories, is vintage.

 
Marble topped chest of drawers: Kijiji (basically like Craig's List) $175
Antlers: given to me/free
terrarium: given to me/free
picture: given to me/professional reframing $300 (this ain't cheap!)
 
 
Armoire: from my Grandmother/free
Bust: Kijiji $35
Etchings: Antique dealer, liquidating his collection $12 for 6
Frames for etchings: Michaels, on sale for $5 each-$30 total
Basket: Home Sense $12
other accessories/pillows, I've had for years
 

Bedside table/desk: Kijiji $175
Clock: Home Sense $20 (I have seen the EXACT same one currently in a local home decor shop for $75!!)
Frame: gift
Urn with orchid: gift
Bedside lamps: My mother gave them to me, but bought them for $2 for both (!!) at a garage sale
Picture above bed: gift
Professional re-framing for picture $300
Pottery Barn bedding: $200 for all, including skirt, shams and duvet cover

 
Headboard (seen in an old picture before we painted the walls): Kijiji $125

 
Barley twist gateleg table: Kijiji $125


Granny needlepoint chair: Kijiji $50


Desk (which I repainted) Kijiji: $75
Chairs: gift
Matelesse to cover chairs: gift, and I sewed the covers myself
Basket under desk: Home Sense $50
Hydrangeas: free
Frames on desk: Home Sense around $12 each
vintage encyclopedieas, tray, all pictures-gifts or free
Professional reframing of picture-$200
Preserved cedar topiaries: on sale for $50 for both


 
moss and nests for terrarium: under $10
Urns I've had for 10 years
 
 
Bosporus Flax linen for draperies $200 for all supplies; sewn myself
Drapery hardware came from our old house

 
A close-up of the picture hanging above the dresser. It was given to me by my Mom, and I love it!
 

Close up of the antique etchings we scored for $2 each from an antique dealer.

 
More etchings from same antique dealer $8 for 4
Frames: Michaels: $60 for 4
Orchid pot:gifted, orchid $15
 
GRAND TOTAL: $2253
 
This is actually more than I thought it would be, but I think the $800 on reframing those pictures made a big dent in the budget (but worth it to preserve them properly!). 
 
I'd say this still isn't bad to completely furnish (except for our mattress which I bought many years ago) a large master bedroom. If I had more money to spend, I still don't think I'd change a thing. I love the vintage elements and unmatched furniture that has a more collected over time look.
 
It is certainly a wonderful, restful retreat!
 
 
Linking my second hand bedroom to these wonderful parties at:
 

 
 

22 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea your room looks gorgeous! I love all the pretty pieces you have in there and all your pretty accessories too!

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

You've done a great job making your master bedroom beautiful on a budget. I don't think it looks like you skimped on anything! That actually is a good price to pay for everything done in there when you consider how much furniture you have and bedding, linens and accessories. I have never added mine up either. Scary! Ha!

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

Your room is lovely . . . for that much beauty the price was a bargain. Maybe, you should take a class in framing . . . think of all the money you will save on your next re-do :)
Enjoy your lovely bedroom, and sweet dreams.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

P.S. This was a very interesting post. I, too, enjoy seeing what people pay for items. Great Job!

Sharing Shadymont said...[Reply to comment]

Amazing room! Love everything you did, especially love the drapes! Just beautiful!

Susan said...[Reply to comment]

What a calm, restful, beautiful retreat. You did a great job. Boy, do I miss kijiji!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

It is all so beautiful. I can't believe the deals on some of the items.

L'Heure Bleue At Home said...[Reply to comment]

The bedroom looks so luxurious. Your patience and persistence in gathering all these lovely vintage pieces definitely paid off! I love the armoire.

swandaughter said...[Reply to comment]

This is really lovely. REALLY!! I think I am going to go straight to Kijiji and check it out.

swandaughter said...[Reply to comment]

This is really lovely. REALLY!! I think I am going to go straight to Kijiji and check it out.

MONICA LIVAS said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful room! Love the curtains!

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

*sigh* This is so beautiful! I love it! Those hydrangea under the table are amazing!

Have a great day rock star!
karianne

kijsa said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea-
It is beautiful!! I love the furniture, colors, and all your special touches!
Blessings,
Kijsa

Domestic Sweetheart said...[Reply to comment]

So pretty! Happy Friday :)
xo
www.domesticsweetheart.com

Debra said...[Reply to comment]

This is a lovely lovely room! SO attractive and restful looking...anyone would be happy to have this as their bedroom / WOW ! :)

Peggy Bolyer said...[Reply to comment]

You did a beautiful job, it does look restful. I love your desk.

Peggy @ southscapedesigns.com

must love junk said...[Reply to comment]

Love it! It looks so warm and inviting! I'm your newest follower and invite you to visit and say hi :)
Susan

Windlost said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful! You must have more patience than me to shop on kijiji! I adore that gateleg table, so if you ever get tired of it you know who to call.

Hope all is well and you are surviving the cold.

Sorry I am behind on my blog visiting! xo Terri

td said...[Reply to comment]


This is one of the most beautiful rooms I've see on bloglad...elegant,warm and serene. The drapery is outstanding. CTD

Diane said...[Reply to comment]

Excellent job my friend! Love the drapery and the chair slip covers. Diane

Keeping it Cozy said...[Reply to comment]

It's beautiful! I love all the furniture pieces and your drapes are gorgeous.

Stacey said...[Reply to comment]

Your bedroom is beautiful! I love the colors, the fabrics, the accessories, everything. :)

garden said...[Reply to comment]


Searching for oak bedroom furniture? We have oak chests, chest of drawers, double beds, single beds, lamp tables, oak bedside tables and cabinets, mirrors, wardrobes, double robes and triple robes. Country style, contemporary style, cheap and practica how tweak to oak bedroom furniture
.