Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Silhouette Christmas Tree Ornaments

Last year we bought this flocked tree for 1/2 price after Christmas. I've always loved flocked trees, and in our new home, we actually have room for a second tree downstairs.

Our tree upstairs is a more traditional tree, with beloved ornaments collected over many years. I am not usually a fan of themed trees, but I was needing something to fill our new tree, and decided to make some silhouette ornaments.

I'll show you the tree in detail a bit later when I am showing all my Christmas decor, but today I'd like to share my silhouette ornaments so you will have enough time to make them too!

I made two styles. Here is the first (and my favorite):

 
 I simply bought these laser cut frames for less than a dollar each at Michael's. I found some silhouette images online (you can see them on my Pinterest board, here), printed them and glued them onto the frames.
 
So simple and so pretty.
 
 
 These other frames, I also found at Michael's, and paid less than a dollar (with a 25% off coupon app). I didn't like the variety of colours, and wanted a more uniform look.
 
 
 
 I sprayed them with this aged copper/gold paint.
 
 
 
 I used painters tape to protect the plastic covers and an exacto knife to cut it to size.
 



I only needed one coat of paint on the frames and I simply placed a ribbon to hang them on the tree. I love the result!

 
In these pictures, the gold framed silhouettes blend in more with the tree, but in person they are so pretty and look beautiful with the flocked branches.


 
 
 

Linking my silhouettes to these parties:
 
 
 
 

15 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful, Andrea! I love those laser cut frames!

Christine Dovey said...[Reply to comment]

These are gorgeous- love them!

Babiole de Windsor said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea...I'm loving silhouettes these days and this is such a great way to use them without a huge $ investment! Definitely makes for a lovely tree.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

You are so smart. I just love this idea! They look gorgeous hung with ribbon too.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

These ornaments are so cute on your flocked tree. I have a weakness for flocked trees, too, but don't have one. They are just so pretty.

Glamorous Mommy said...[Reply to comment]

I'm such a sucker for silhouettes, and I adore these!! Found you via Savvy Southern Style and now following along!!

- Fotini { http://glamorousbride.blogspot.com }

Ann Krucek said...[Reply to comment]

very pretty!! Cute ornaments, i love the laser cut frames - I see a trip to Michael's in my future thanks to you!!

Tricia said...[Reply to comment]

Those ornaments are so cute, Andrea! I love the frames. I bought some wooden, laser-cut ornaments at Michaels a few years ago and barely paid anything for them.

I would love to have a flocked tree too, but with the two kitties that we have now, I imagine that it would be quite the mess. I'm already concerned about how the Christmas tree is going to fair this year.

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

This is a beautiful idea . . . your tree looks so Victorian and romantic.
I think that it is so wonderful that you made your own wedding invitations . . . there is so much love put into handmade cards. Do you have them posted on your blog?

Thank you for visiting my blog.
Have a very sweet day,
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Sherry said...[Reply to comment]

These turned out lovely! I really like the framed ornament look. I need to get to the craft store and make so I can make my own version. Well done!

Shabby chic Sandy said...[Reply to comment]

What a great idea! I think they look so sweet! :)

Okio B Designs said...[Reply to comment]

I love your silhouettes! Very pretty! I did some too - inside Xmas glass bulbs but I may have to copycat yours! Coming over from Between Naps on the Porch and your newest follower. =)

Jeanine

Gypsea said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty! I am going to look for that spray paint too gorgeous!

Sherry said...[Reply to comment]

Love these ornaments! I was going to do this too this year, but it has not happened! LOL Yours turned out great!
Sherry

aimee said...[Reply to comment]

I love them they look so cute xxx