Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Family Room: The Plan

Holly and I have a solid plan in motion for the family room and dining room. We still have some smaller details to work out, mainly with accessories, but this will come when some of the larger pieces are here and in place.

Without further ado, here is a design board that Holly created, which shows an overall plan for the family and dining rooms:


I am calling the look Cottage Farmhouse, with a bit of french, vintage and antiques and industrial thrown into the mix.

Let's talk details of the family room today, and I'll leave the dining room for my next post.


Occasional chairs:

I never did like those 2 striped chairs I previously had in here (you can see my before pictures here). They will be replaced with these two, slipcovered chairs:


Slipcovers = Mom's best friend when you have 3 sticky fingered munchkins running around.

The wingback chair is currently at the upholsterer, getting a new slipcover, which will hopefully be exactly like this:



Art for the walls:

As seen in the above design board, a series of 4 of these birds will flank the armoire. The prints are not only quite large, which was needed to fill that big blank wall, but they also bring in some colour into our rather neutral space. I am a big lover of botanicals, nature, and animals, so Holly was spot on when she suggested these.

Side tables:

Here's where things get a bit more fun and eclectic. To keep the room from being too sweet, we chose some more industrial-esque inspired tables:

 

I am loving this table, which will go beside the wingback chair.


This table I wasn't sure about at first. It is much more contemporary/clean lined than I usually go for, but when I envisioned it in the space, paired with a fabulous lamp and accessories, I thought it would be a nice mix to the otherwise more cottagey styled pieces (just as Holly told me it would!)


Coffee table:

Out with the 'serious' dark stained table, and in with this:



I painted the table a mix of 3/4 old white and 1/4 duck egg blue, and lightly distressed and waxed it. I thought a long time about painting this table but was nervous to. It took Holly telling me to do it, for it to actually get done. I love it now, and would have ended up selling it if it wasn't painted.  I will show more detailed pictures when it is in place and the accessories are added. This is an early morning picture, so it is hard to get a true appreciation for the colour of it.

It will be topped with a large round basket/tray.

Armoire:



This large basket of hydrangeas is now adorning the top, and filling out the space rather nicely. I hunted high and low both online and in stores for a basket for here. Wouldn't you know it, this was sitting in my bedroom the entire time. While I liked it in the bedroom, I like it even more in here. I looooove dried hydrangeas, and the colours of these are so beautiful, and work perfectly in the room.

Fireside Bench:


This is one of my favorite pieces. I can't wait to see it in front of the fireplace!! I brings a bit of french flirtiness to the space.

Lamps:


I am loving this barley twist lamp which will live by the wingback chair. We still are working out the details on the table lamps.

Still to decide upon:

Rug: once the ordered items are in we will see how it works in the space and replace if need be.

Accessories and pillows will be decided upon once fabric samples and furniture arrive. Think ticking, grain sack, toile and maybe some floral or graphic designs to mix it up.

When I saw the design board that Holly Mathis did for me, I was so excited. It is me exactly. It doesn't look like a designer just came in and changed up the whole room which doesn't represent the family who lives there. She suggested things I wouldn't have thought of, and yet they will be perfect when mixed with the other treasures we have. She also made suggestions that I can't believe I didn't think of. Things that seem so obvious, yet I couldn't find the right pieces (for example, the art beside the armoire) and just didn't get the room put together. She was respectful of the items I already had, and wanted to keep, and made them work in the room.

I plan to do a whole post on working with a designer, but I will just say that this is the best money we spent on this room. She not only has created a space that we will love and enjoy for years, but she has saved us money on mistake purchases, and has sourced out products that I would have spent much more money on if I was buying them locally. You will see more evidence of this in my dining room plan. I can't recommend working with a designer, and more specifically, working with Holly, enough.

Up next: the Dining room. Ohhhh, it's a goodie!!

Linking my family room design plan to these parties:



I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.


20 comments:

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...[Reply to comment]

Lovely inspiration! Everything looks wonderful!

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

What lovely pieces. Your wing-backs are going to be lovely. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished room at set up and ready to enjoy :)
Thanks for sharing.
You are doing this at just the right time of year . . . spring will be here soon and you'll be too busy outside :)
Have a great week.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Stacey said...[Reply to comment]

I can't wait to see how that turns out! I just adore everything Holly does. She is spot on!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

I am so excited for you... the new.. the familiar all blended together to make a new 'you' . I luv Holly's home and can't wait for the reveal .
Cheers, Gee

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I love every single thing on the design board! The bench is my favorite and the wing chair will be fabulous.
xx, Sherry

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Your home is going to be fabulous. I can't wait. Love all the ideas.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

I am also trying to decide whether to order that same checked fabric you showed or solid linen for my dining room chairs.

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I love the choices you've made so far! I really like how you painted the coffee table too. I love a round coffee table. You are going to love having slipcovered furniture too. After I see what gets on mine, I can't imagine not ever having them. Upholstered furniture gets so dirty (kids or no kids) and then it's never going to be as clean as taking off the slipcover to wash it! Looking forward to seeing what will be happening in your dining area next!

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

It's going to be great! Keep posting!

designchic said...[Reply to comment]

It's going to be amazing - love the slipcovered chairs and the dining room draperies are fabulous!!

Heather@http://southernabbey.com said...[Reply to comment]

This room is going to be amazing. It looks so calming and it's child friendly but also sophisticated enough to host a party. Be proud!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...[Reply to comment]

Would you mind terribly if I used your inspiration for my sunroom?! My design is already leaning this way!! It's amazing how similiar they are! I have several Audubon bird prints that I planning on using. My husband and I have chosen a plan for the table that is similiar but slightly more rustic than yours. I also have a french storage bench to set at the table! I just LOVE your board!!! I'm a new follower and hope you can stop by for a visit when you get a chance. Blessings, Tammy

Angie said...[Reply to comment]

I knew this was a Holly design before I even read it! This is so beautiful! It is exactly my taste too. I have a blogger friend that worked with her and she had the most wonderful experience and ended up with a gorgeous room. It looks like you are as well! I am a new follower. I love the name of your blog, can't wait to explore it. Blessings, Angie

Finding Home said...[Reply to comment]

Wow - it is all pulling together beautifully - I can't wait to see what is next! Take care, Laura

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, your room will look amazing...I can't wait to see more!
Blessings,
Cindy

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

It is going to look fabulous! I love both Holly style and yours. Where oh where did you find that coffee table/ I =am on the hunt for a round one and am about to give up and just purchase a new one.

~ Liz ~ said...[Reply to comment]

Great plans. Can't wait to see it all come together!
Liz

Stephanie De Groot said...[Reply to comment]


Wat een heerlijke M line matrassen

Donna said...[Reply to comment]

Just found your blog and I love all of it.the designs boards are great. I especially love the dining table and chairs with the brown toile and gingham. I have that same lamp but the shade on your board is really lovely. do you know where these items are coming from? Can't wait to see more. Crazy about the end table and bird prints too.

Donna said...[Reply to comment]

Just found your blog and I love all of it.the designs boards are great. I especially love the dining table and chairs with the brown toile and gingham. I have that same lamp but the shade on your board is really lovely. do you know where these items are coming from? Can't wait to see more. Crazy about the end table and bird prints too.