Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Mudroom Reveal

Well, Christmas is over (boo!!), all the decorations are put away, and exciting, fun things are happening 'round here.

We had a wonderful, relaxing holiday, and slowly things are getting back into a routine. The hubby is back to work, and 2 of my girls will be back in school next week.

I am starting this new blogging year off with a room reveal: the mudroom.

Our New Mudroom, After :



Our Mudroom, Before:


I have always loved our mudroom, but my goal was to make it even more functional (and pretty!). The before had some good basics: heated, slate tile, a built in bench, and the same matching fir doors and trim as the rest of the house.



We started by adding this board and batten treatment, with 3 iron hooks for our girls backpacks, coats etc. The blue/grey walls were painted Benjamin Moore's Horizon Grey (as is most of the main floor). It is similar to the before wall colour, but in person the before colour is much more blue than the more subtle grey/blue of the new Horizon Grey colour.


I love these hooks, which I found at a local store {Cozy Cottage Interiors}.


We really wanted some vintage corbels for the shelf, but after searching and searching (and losing out on a set of perfect cottagey corbels on etsy), we broke down and bought these shelf brackets at Lowes.

We also added cove trim to the board and batten to finish it off. The entire board and batten treatment was painted in a glossy coat of Benjamin Moore's Marble White. This is a wonderful creamy white.



While the shelf is quite high (we had to do this so the closet doors would open), I really wanted it to display some of my treasures and add another element of interest to the room.


I had fun playing around with some accesories for the shelf. I had everything already, except for the dog weathervane, which my hubby got me for Christmas (he did good!!!!). The weathervane still needs to be mounted to a block, so it's leaning a bit in this picture.


I got up on a ladder to show you the shelf a bit closer. You can see that we didn't finish painting the top as I figured no one would see it.....that is no one but you-oops!


This set of very old encyclopedias from my hubby's Grandmother have been very handy to use in vignettes. I love using old books to add height and interest.


This is one of my favorite presents this year. I ADORE this weathervane. It is vintage, very heavy, and very cool. I love dog accessories (big surprise, being a veterinarian and all), and I love weathervanes (Hmm, I can sense some collections coming on!). 



I printed off some vintage looking dog pictures (I just googled vintage dog images) to put in these frames. Since they are quite high up, you can't tell they are just printed from the computer. The bird on a book was another Christmas gift from my Mom.


The opposite wall has a large window and a built in bench.  The baskets were left here from the previous owner, but I added a 4 inch foam cushion and sewed the cover. I used this wonderful tutorial, and was quite happy with the result. Sewing a piped cushion cover was a bit daunting, but the step by step tutorial was so well written and thorough, that it was quite easy. I love the fabric, which is Barber Powder Blue Twill . I first saw it on this blog on her new dining room chairs, and loved it immediately. I searched my trusted Online Fabric store, and they had it at a great price!


The cushions are all from Home Sense. I do have one more to sew a cover for, but all in good time.
I am considering changing out the light fixtures to two lantern style lights.


I have the perfect window treatment picked out that will really finish off the space. I am just waiting for the store to open here (in the spring).  Lets just say that if they don't stock it in Canada, I'll be taking a wee drive to Montana to get it. It's that perfect for this window.


Hmmm, I guess I should change out my chalkboard now that Christmas is over? I reused this frame which my Mom found at a thrift store. I simply painted a board with chalk paint and popped it in place. The funky little clock above it is from another small boutique in town (Finishing Touches). I have a thing for clocks, and have quite a collection around the house.



One of my favorite Etsy purchases of late. I am obsessed over this little silhouette, and was thrilled to find the perfect spot for it in the mudroom. I found it at Kijsa's Etsy store, and it was so reasonably priced. I bought some other sweet things from her as well. She's so talented. It must run in the family.


This is looking back onto the other side of the room. The open doorway leads to the main part of the house, and the closed fir door leads to the laundry room (the next room on the list to get a facelift). The white door leads to the garage and will soon be painted black.


So there are a few more small details to finish (window treatment, another pillow cover to sew, paint the garage door black, possibly change out light fixtures, and I'm considering an area rug or matt by the garage door), but for the most part, this room is done and I love how it turned out!

Next up, the laundry room! I guess I better get out my painting clothes.....

Linking my mudroom to these parties:






24 comments:

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...[Reply to comment]

Love your mud rom changes. The window seat looks so wonderful tot along with cushions and pillows. Move the iron hooks too!

Happy New Year!

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

What a glorious space you have there! I can't get enough of mudrooms, and yours is no exception! Love the hooks and the board and batten treatment, as well as how mud-friendly that pretty floor is! :-)

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I love it. Great job adding the board and batten. I love the shelf and the brackets look fine. Now I wish I had a mud room.

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

Hello Andrea, your room is wonderful . . . you really sandwiched style and practicality to perfection :)
Happy New Year.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful makeover! I love how pretty you made it yet it is still very functional. Looks like you're getting your new year started right!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

LOVE IT Andrea!! Your board and batten wall looks fabulous!!

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

I love what you have done with the mud room and after reading your blog for a while now, this room is so you! Great work!

Jennifer Taylor said...[Reply to comment]

Oh wow! I love it! You have such amazing style and taste! What a great mudroom! Love the wall color and the cool hooks! Jen

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

I love it, Andrea. It has much more character now. You have so many neat pieces on display, I really love the weather vane! Great job!

XO,
Jane

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea,

What a wonderful transformation! I love the hooks! Thank you so much for inspiring me today! I need a mudroom just like this!

blessings,
karianne

Joy@aVintageGreen said...[Reply to comment]

Visiting, then stayed awhile. Lovely mudroom update, so beautiful as well as practical. Love you collections on the high shelf. Following so I remember to visit again, came over from Stonegable.

Happy 2013 New Year.

Joy

Windlost said...[Reply to comment]

It looks stunning - beautifully designed. You could be a designer, no problem! I wish either me or David was handy enough to do this kind of stuff! I love all the things you picked out - everything is a perfect note.

I am emailing you about my blog post.

xo Terri

Nancy Esmade said...[Reply to comment]

these one looks very awesome and very impressive. i love you blog, the designs are great. you really know how to choose for your bathroom

bathroom accessories

AntiqueChase said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty. I love those hooks!

Judy K said...[Reply to comment]

I just love what you have done with your mudroom. It looks gorgeous. I would love for you to come and share this, if you haven't already, at my Winter Blues Wednesday party. Hope to see you there.

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...[Reply to comment]

Fantastic transformationl....such a warm and inviting area...you have made it both so beautiful and functional at the same time!....I so love those doors....can't wait to see the laundry room makeover!

Robin said...[Reply to comment]

I love all the changes you have made. The shelf and hook wall is amazing and so pretty and your display on the shelf looks so nice.

Jennifer Rizzo said...[Reply to comment]

It looks awesome!!!! I love the coat rack!!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...[Reply to comment]

Your mudroom was very nice to start with and the addition of the white trimwork with hooks and shelf just takes it over the top. Gorgeous and functional. The white really brings out the special in the stained wood doors and trimwork. If I had a mudroom I would want it to look like this.

Seaside Interiors said...[Reply to comment]

I love the differences you were able to make with all of the accent pieces, change in lighting, and adding the bench seat. It really warms up your mudroom!

Sharlotte said...[Reply to comment]

This is beautiful! I love the trim and those hooks! Gorgeous!

the cape on the corner said...[Reply to comment]

amazing! you definitely prettied up this space, especially with the board and batten and the cushion. great job!

Gretchen said...[Reply to comment]

looks great! an entryway project is coming up soon on my list, so I'm collecting ideas :)

Welcome to my blog! said...[Reply to comment]

Looks beautiful!