Wednesday, January 9, 2013

The Chalkboard Trend

I think I first saw a framed chalkboard being used in Miss Mustard Seed's dining room. I loved it immediately and in the back of my mind, set plans to find a great vintage frame and make one myself.

Fast forward a few years later, and you see chalkboards everywhere.

The lettering is becoming more of an art, and there is so much inspiration out there to create a beautiful design.

I recently made two boards. Both these frames are vintage/antique. I simply painted a board with chalkboard paint (which I found at Home Depot) and tacked it into the frame.

You've seen my Christmas inspired board in my newly made over mudroom. I've finally changed it out to this:

 
I love old frames, and this one is no exception!
 


I pretty much directly copied it from a board I saw on Pinterest. (You can check out all my chalkboard pins under my inspiration file here). I've also seen a ton of inspiration on blogs. There are some amazing chalkboard artists out there!

I free handed the lettering, and used a chalkboard wet erase marker. You need to be sure to 'prime' your board first, or else the marker with permanently leave a mark.

I've learned this the hard way when I painted a silver tray. I now have to repaint it with chalkboard paint if I'd like to change the monogram. Priming basically means lying chalk on its side and rubbing the entire board with chalk. I then took a cloth and rubbed it in to even out the chalk.

The other chalkboard is in a wonderful old, chipped up frame. It's not yet primed or ready to go. It will be in the newly re-vamped laundry room.

Here's a sneak peak:

 

 
 
I, for one, hope this is a trend to stay. Well, actually, I suppose it really doesn't matter, since even if this is one trend to fade, I'll be keeping my boards regardless!

Linking my chalkboards to these parties:



I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.

9 comments:

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I also have that quote pinned, and I just love how you incorporated it into your home. I can't wait to see what you do with the second one. The frames are to die for ;-) I'm off to follow you on pinterest and instagram!

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

Love your chalkboards, Andrea! I really like all the chalkboard art I see, but I hate how I write on chalkboards. I have a great frame I painted that I'd like to use for a chalkboard but I'll be going the faux route with it using black foam board. I just need to find a stencil I really like to use on it.

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

I'd love to have a chalkboard and I actually have a big, detailed frame, but I have no where to hang it! Absolutely no wall space (unless I use the bathroom!). Love yours!

XO,
Jane

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Great frames and love the quote.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

I love them both!!

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

That looks so cute. I like it because it's in an old frame. It looks better that way instead of a new one that is mass produced.

Anita @ Cedar Hill Ranch said...[Reply to comment]

Very pretty Andrea. You did a great job on the boards, and I too have been thinking about doing chalkboards, hmmmm.

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

Chalkboards are very popular right in the decor and crating world. Your chalkboards turned out great!

Sharlotte said...[Reply to comment]

I love these too! Your frames are great, especially the chippy one! I'll be looking for these in your upcoming posts!