Friday, January 25, 2013

The Dining Room and Kitchen: Before

Last time I showed you the family room before the big renovation.

Today, I'd like to show you the dining room and kitchen.

All of these spaces are very open to each other, so flow from one room to the next is very important.

Dining Room: Before

The dining room isn't actually a room at all, but more of a space in a bay window. The room is difined by the coffered ceiling.  You can see from this picture that it is very open to the family room.


Although I just made those roman blinds, they will be changing. Also, the lighting, while ok, literally matches every other light on the entire main floor. This will also change.


The table is hopefully being sold today, and a new table is en route as I type this. What till you see the new one.....it is fabulous!


The antique buffet is staying put, and some of the art, otherwise it will be completely different.

This room is also very open to the kitchen:



Kitchen: Before

I am most excited about tearing out this kitchen. It was installed in 2008, and while this is awfully new to be replacing already, not only is the oak cupboards not my style, they are cheap and falling apart. We have repaired many of the drawers so they'll close, but because they are made of particle board, the screws just aren't holding.

I don't know how many people who have been in our home have told us that they don't think the kitchen fits the home.


There are some nice features, which may stay, but for the most part, this is a total renovation.


When I look at these pictures, it looks much nicer than in person.

This cabinet is in a nook by the breakfast table. There's is so much potential to do something fabulous in this space!


 We are currently interviewing cabinet makers, and Holly and I will be working on the kitchen design in the next 1-2 weeks. So happy!!

We pretty much have the family room and dining room plans in place, and I'll share those with you next. I am anxiously awaiting a big order of furniture, and have furniture off to be sold, slipcovered.... phew! very busy, but very fun!

Next up, I'll show you our plans for the family room and dining room!
 
 
 I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter. I'll be posting regular pictures on Instagram and Twitter showing our progress!


8 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Very exciting!! I can't wait to see your new kitchen design and what type of cabinets you choose!!

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

So exciting! I look forward to seeing what you're doing new in these rooms and then I will be getting inspired by you!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

I am so excited for you... Awaiting the updates.
Cheers, Gee

Kristen @ Sophia's Decor said...[Reply to comment]

I can't wait to see all the changes! It's going to be beautiful!

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

I can't wait to see what you do! You have such great space there, the possibilities are endless!!

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

If these are your before photos . . . I just have to say Wow! These rooms already look beautiful to me. I know, sometimes we just want a change.
Have fun with your project.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

I can feel your excitement! I love your dining room area...the ceiling is fantastic and I can't wait to see your new table! It's a shame about your cabinets...who do people make such big changes with junk material? This really is a nice space and I like the layout. The little nook will be interesting...any ideas yet?

XO,
Jane

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...[Reply to comment]

So exciting! I love how your ceiling defines your dining area. Can't wait to see your new table and all you have planned!
Have a great weekend,
Cindy