Monday, March 4, 2013

A Serious Coffee Table

Remember my serious coffee table?



All dark, shiny, formal?

This was an expensive table that I bought a few years ago through a catalogue in one of my favorite home decor stores. Immediately when it came, I regretted it.

I liked the round shape, the pretty legs, but it seemed better suited in a traditional, serious, kid-free home.

Our furniture? Well, it needs to fit two main needs: it needs to be kid friendly (so I don't have a heart attack when my sticky fingered munchkins are zooming their barbie car on the couch, over the coffee table and up the back of the chair), and it needs to be pretty. Pretty and kid friendly may require a bit more forethought when choosing furniture, but it can be done!

I was certain Holly would want to replace my serious, 'grown-up' table, but she surprised me by suggesting to paint it!


{a sneak peak of some of the new elements in the room}

In the past I had thought of painting it, but dismissed the idea because I was scared. Scared to take an expensive (albeit mass produced) piece of serious furniture and turn it into a more cottage-inspired family friendly piece. Boy am I glad for Holly and her bright ideas =)




I love my newly soft blue-cottage-vibe-doesn't take itself too seriously table.




I used 3/4 Old White, 1/4 Duck Egg Blue ASCP, and lightly distressed and added a bit o' clear and dark wax.



Again at Holly's suggestion, I added this large round basket.



My winter paperwhites are rockin through to spring, and for now, I've thrown together a few other objet in this big ole basket. I'm sure I'll enjoy mixin' it up every now and then.

Everything in the family room is coming together beautifully! I have some more furniture pieces on backorder, that should arrive within the next 2-3 weeks, and then it's show-off time!

Linking my 'new' coffee table to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.



22 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

I had to do a double take on that table - didn't look like the same one (in more ways than one!). Looks lovely - I've been on the hunt for the "perfect" coffee table and/or ottoman for awhile now.

Kristen @ Sophia's Decor said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great! I love the new painted look! People always think that white on anything isn't kid-friendly and I totally disagree. I love those bird prints and how everything is coming together!

Little Cottage on the Pond said...[Reply to comment]

The joke in my house is that if it will sit still long enough I will paint it! Your coffee table is beautiful. I love how the painted version fits so much better in your home. Well done!

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

It is like having a new table! You did an outstanding job painting it! I love it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

BEAUTIFUL makeover Andrea!! I love it and love the pretty vignette too! Love the pretty bird prints, it's a good thing we don't leave close to one another they might have gone missing LOL!

Judy K said...[Reply to comment]

What a beautiful makeover. You did a gorgeous job transforming it.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Great job on the table, Andrea. I have a round basket just like that one on my coffee table.

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, I love how it is painted, it looks great! Lovely vignette also!

Princess Kate said...[Reply to comment]

Love the new look of the table. Thanks foe sharing.

Blondie's Journal said...[Reply to comment]

This is so pretty, I'm glad you took the chance to paint it and you did a beautiful job! I am so excited to see the final reveal of the room!

XO,
Jane

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

Love the new look of your coffee table. I think painted furniture holds up better anyway. You will enjoy that. I like the color you chose along with the light distressing.

Sue said...[Reply to comment]

OMG- painting the table just brought it to life, Andrea!! Did you add a couple or three wax coats? For high use, that will keep it looking good. It is fresh looking and a nice contrast to the rest of the room! I know what you mean about snowy, cold weather. Spring cannot come soon enough! :-) Sue

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...[Reply to comment]

I have a "dark serious coffee table" and you just inspired me to paint mine!!....Turned out beautiful...and love the vignette...

Kerry@homecrushblog.com said...[Reply to comment]

Your table looks so pretty and I love the tray and accessories! My serious and dark table may need a makeover now . . .

summersoul said...[Reply to comment]

I love it now! What a difference. It changes the feel of the whole room!

MC

Miss Kitty said...[Reply to comment]

Love the new look for your coffee table now! So much personality and if it gets a little more distressed from cars driving across it, so much the better! I saw your post over at "Miss Mustard Seed".

Lorna said...[Reply to comment]

I love this transformation! What a difference paint can make, it looks like a different piece of furniture. Great job!

Revi said...[Reply to comment]

Your table looks so lovely! I love your vignette, too.
-Revi

poppilinnstudios said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful transformation.

Nicky said...[Reply to comment]

Lovely table! I have a round table too and have been on the lookout for a round basket...hard to find. Where did you find yours? Please say Target or somewhere I can race off to tomorrow and get one! :)
Thanks,
Nicky

Glenda @ Magnolia Bend Drive said...[Reply to comment]

I like the table better painted!! Your room looks lovely.

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

Prettiest coffee table I've seen in ages!