Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Board and Batten in the Hallway

Part of our redecorating of the main floor included adding character and interest to our rather plain and boring hallway.

We have board and batten in many parts of our house. Putting it down our hallway made perfect sense; it connects the spaces and allows them to flow together.

We kept the same Horizon Grey colour above the B & B and painted the lower portion Marble White (Benjamin Moore).


Here you can see the mudroom board and batten wall, and how nicely it flows through to the hallway.
We decided not to extend the B & B up quite so high as I wanted to be able to really see the art.


I hung these antique, 1870's map etchings down the entire hall (in my favorite Ikea Ribba frames).


There are two sections of hallway, and we did the same treatment and art in both. You can see a sneak peek of our next project: the stairway. It's the last space to be painted from the original blue on the walls. I can't wait to start this space! It, too, will be getting a B & B treatment, as well as a banister make over and a gallery wall. I also want to paint out the baby gate so it blends (ie disappears!) a bit better. Baby gates are rather unfortunate, but necessary, design elements.


Check out the (boring) before:


And much better after:


What a difference a little paint and trim makes!!

Linking my hallway to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.

17 comments:

Stacy said...[Reply to comment]

Your hallway looks fabulous now but I think it looked really nice before too ~ it has such nice woodwork and the windows above the doors are so cool. That isn't something you see in a lot of houses. Great job on the makeover!

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous board and batten! I never tire of that look, and it's so bright and beautiful with all of your other gorgeous woodwork! How is that kitchen of yours coming along?

Heather@http://southernabbey.com said...[Reply to comment]

Looks great! Ribba frames are the best, I agree. I look forward to trying out some B&B in a space sometime. Thanks for sharing.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

That looks great. Wish I had it somewhere in our house. Think hubby would kill me if I asked for anything else.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea it looks fabulous!! I love that look!

Stacey said...[Reply to comment]

That looks fantastic! I want to convince my husband to do certain parts of our house. It sure dresses things up.

Tonya @ My Cozy Little Farmhouse said...[Reply to comment]

It is so pretty! I love the door and transom window too!

Donna said...[Reply to comment]

Looks wonderful! Keep it coming. Love the pictures!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...[Reply to comment]

Looks fantastic!...I so love great woodwork and trim throughout the house...the board and batten really transformed that space so beautifully!

Sarah S said...[Reply to comment]

The after photos are amazing! I can't believe how much lighter and brighter everything is. We did board and batten in our hallways in our last house and I loved it there as well. Great job!

Hydee Pole Photography said...[Reply to comment]

Looks better. Love the blue and those frames..

Wanda Baarman said...[Reply to comment]

It looks beautiful and I love your framed maps. Visiting from French Country Cottage. Have a great week end. ~ Wanda

thistlewoodfarm said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea,

This is so pretty! Love the difference in the hallway against the blue!

Have a blessed and wonderful day!
karianne

Susan said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, your hallway is very pretty. I love your framed map prints.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, your hall looks marvelous! I want to add board and batten in my main upstairs bathroom. Add it to the list of thing to do!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous! So much lighter and brighter and a lovely contrast to your wood doors and trim. Great character.

Thirkellgirl said...[Reply to comment]

Does doing the board and batten make your hallway seem narrower? I love your house, and I wonder if my small hallway could work that way.