Monday, April 1, 2013

Granny's New Clothes

My Granny-chair is stylin in her new outfit!!

For those of you who are new here, I'm working with Holly Mathis in redecorating our family room, dining room and renovating our kitchen {as a side note, I just have to say what a joy it has been working with her and seeing the home of my dreams come to reality!!}.

If you recall, I had my Granny wingback in this corner before. It actually was my Grandmother's.
I love the shape, and love a good wingback.  Not all wingbacks are equal-I find some too upright and formal, but this one is a great shape and very comfy.

What I didn't love, was the upholstery fabric OR the faded chintz slipcover it previously had.

I was fairly certain I wanted a plain slightly off white cover, that can be jazzed up with a throw pillow. Holly thought so as well, so I contacted my upholsterer to whip up a slipcover for me.

I did attempt to sew the cover myself, but became frustrated. Best to leave this project to the professional! For those who have sewed a slipcover such as this, hats off to you. Count me impressed.

Anyhow, here are the results:


I adore it. It's the perfect cottagey/casual look I was hoping for. It is quite 'sweet' but we are balancing this with other elements in the room to keep the entire space from being too pretty/sweet. We're going for a more eclectic blend of cottage-casual.

We are still waiting on a floor lamp to be delivered, then I'll show this entire corner. It's coming along beautifully!


If you recall on my family room plan, I loved an image of a chair that had a buttoned pleating along the bottom. We talked about doing this, but decided that since my chair is lower, the skirt needs to be shorter and the buttons wouldn't look right.

We did add another extra detail, though, which I am in love with :


The chair back is actually zippered shut, but I asked her to put in this faux back. She covered a few buttons for me, and I sewed them on the back and added ribbon.

It can also be done up corset style.




You can only really see the back from the Sunroom, but you never know if the chair will be moved in the future, in which case this extra special touch to the back may be more showcased.

We are waiting on 2 more chairs (on the longest backorder in history) and some pillows being sewn, and then it's reveal time!!


Linking my Granny chair to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.


18 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...[Reply to comment]

Oh my gosh, Andrea, I LOVE it! It turned out great! Love the ruffled skirt and the detailing on the back. It looks so comfy and inviting. I don't think I'd have the patience for something like this either. If it can't be stapled on I'm looking for someone to do it for me! : )

Windlost said...[Reply to comment]

How beautiful! Yes, I believe in leaving most things to the professionals. haha.

Your house is looking soooo good.
xo Terri

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Looks fabulous!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

It looks gorgeous!!!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Cute cute slipcover. Can't wait to see more.

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea, your slip cover is amazing. I've never seen one more beautiful.
My hubby and I are celebrating our 37th wedding anniversary this week and we are having a $25 give-a-way, please come over and get your name in the drawing :)
Have a marvelous week,
Your blogging sister, Connie

Stacey said...[Reply to comment]

Adorable! Love the ties on the back. :)

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

That is my kind of slipcover! I love the ruffle, the color, the shape, the button design on back. Love, love, love! If I lived near you, it might come up missing. I'm just saying. LOL! Great choice for your room!

Becca said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful slipcover, indeed! Looking forward to the reveal!!

Shannon Hawk said...[Reply to comment]

Oh this is just beautiful! I have an old chair that I just haven't been able to figure out what to do with. Something like this would be perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this and inspiring me:)

Shannon@CozyCountryLiving

Leslie said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea,

First time stopping by. Everything looks great! I like the slip covers with the bows.. darling! I'm looking forward to seeing a few of your previous posts!

leslie
www.4aroundthetable.com

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Oh my word, the slipcover is perfect. Love the back detail too. Amazing. Hugs, Marty

Lisa said...[Reply to comment]

Sooooo pretty! I am having a family room addition built, and want to use slipcovered furniture in there, so I really loved reading about this. Happy Thursday from the enchanted oven.
xo,
Lisa

Terry Moore said...[Reply to comment]

Well done. Looks really detailed and pretty.

Angela @hickorytrailblog.blogspot.com said...[Reply to comment]

Great job! Granny is Stylin' now :)

Angela Santaniello said...[Reply to comment]

The ribbon ties and the pleated bottom are amazing! And I love when you can repurpose a family piece. Just beautiful!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...[Reply to comment]

So sweet and charming~ I love it. Thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...[Reply to comment]

Your granny sure has style! Wow, so pretty! Lucky you to be working with Holly Mathis. It is going to look so good and I look forward to updates.