Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Kitchen Renovation: Breakfast Nook

Since we are STILL waiting on those last few finishing touches in the rest of the kitchen, I thought I would show you something that is completed: the nook cabinetry in the breakfast area.

When designing this area, I needed some storage, but also was keen to have some open shelving to act as more a display area.



I don't have a 'china hutch' in my dining room, and I have an abundance of pretties that I wanted to display. I asked for a bank of open shelves in the middle so I could play with my collections =)

For the summer, I've used classic blue and white:





We are coffee and tea lovers, so I've made this area our coffee/drink station. We have a frappe machine, two cappuccino machines (one 'real' one, which I have out, and another Tassimo which is hidden away), and a regular coffee maker. Talk about excessive, but we use them all.




I've shown you this coffee area before, holding various sugars and syrups in an old tool caddy, which I scored for $1 at a garage sale (you should have seen the look on the lady's face when I asked if it was for sale....are you sure you want this?? ok, how about a buck? tee hee)

My Grandmothers old cow serving tray sits behind the caddy.

For the rest of the shelves, I've used transferware, silver, glass and white dishes. I threw in a few blue hydrangeas for good measure.






Holly and I chose antiqued brass hardware, which I adore. The marble is the same throughout the rest of the kitchen (except for the island which has a wood top). Beadboard backing and corbels add a cottagey charm, but the shaker style cabinetry keeps it from being too fussy. 'Legs' added to the toe kicks give it more a look of a piece of furniture.




We wanted the cabinets to go right to the ceiling, topped with thick crown moldings. The uppers are mullioned, antiqued glass, backed with beadboard, and illuminated with led lights.

Let's look at how far this area has come:

Before:



It was an eyesore before....I greatly disliked it. In fact, when the cabinet company came to measure for the new cabinets, the designer (who is very nice, but tells it like he sees it) said he had to take a picture because it was the worst designed, ugliest nook cabinet he had seen. Ha! Well, I'm not sure that I would say it was that bad, but it sure wasn't very good. Now? I completely love it. One of my favorite elements in the new kitchen!

Let's hope that you'll be seeing the rest of the kitchen very, very soon.

Linking my kitchen nook to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.

15 comments:

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...[Reply to comment]

wow, love the open shelving and the mix of blue and white....Wonderful cappuccino maker too! I love my coffee too!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous! Love the open shelving and space for coffee!!! We are planning our kitchen remodel and will also have cupboards for storage...some open for pretties and a lot closed for good ole' storage! Beautiful job!
Would love for you to share at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
Blessings,
Cindy

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Looks so much better, Andrea and look at all that extra storage just by taking it all the way up.

Leslie said...[Reply to comment]

Hi Andrea,
Wow! What a difference the open shelving and white paint makes. I like your coffee station and caddy! We left the doors off one of cabinets, creating a similar look. I really like the openness. Your B&W is so pretty!

Suzan Sweatman said...[Reply to comment]

It absolutely beautiful - those tiny cupboards on the top just make the piece - and the way you decorated it is simply gorgeous!!!
LOVE this!
Visiting from Savvy Southern Style
Hugs,
Suzan

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful!! And what a pretty display of blue and white...
Happy Today.
Hugs, Gee

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

That is certainly a great use of space to fill it with cabinets all the way to the top. I like the added display area. You will enjoy being able to change that up as you want.

designchic said...[Reply to comment]

What a wonderful nook and amazing transformation - love your china!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Oh wow, fabulous transformation. I love the redo. I would love for you to link this up to my ongoing Inspire Me. Tuesday party. - -http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/07/172nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
Hugs, Marty

Stacey said...[Reply to comment]

Amazing transformation! I see you're a fellow coffee lover too:-)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Love love love!!

Joy H said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful! I love how you re-did that and I am a big fan of blue and white china. Just hopping by..

Lee John said...[Reply to comment]

The kitchen you renovated is looking really good. An admirable step.
kitchen renovation

Arthur Bryant said...[Reply to comment]

What an amazing transformation! I can't really say it's an eyesore before the renovation, just a little mismatched, I guessed. But the renovation sure made a huge difference. The white paint and the new shelving made it look immaculate. Congrats on the success of your kitchen renovation! Arthur Bryant @ ContractorExpress.com

edward erick said...[Reply to comment]

Nice I also share with you something hope this helpful for you my friends. Here’s a great design tip for kitchens – the stove/cooking area, sink, and fridge are best when they form the three corners of a triangle. This works for both big and small kitchens. This makes it easy to maneuver around the kitchen because you go from point A to point B to point C easier. Preparing and cooking food becomes easier and unencumbered. It’s also logical layout from an electricity and plumbing standpoint because this would keep gas lines and water pipes away from each other.
Kitchen Design