Sunday, September 15, 2013

An update, a quilt, and a sweet new blog

Hello! I've been trying to get to my little blog for another post on my kitchen. These last few days of summer, the start of the school year, and busy life in general seem to have put my blogging on the back burner. I have so much to share with you and hope to start being more intentional with my posting now that we are all settling into our school year routine.

Today I want to share with you a quilt that I have just finished:




Did you know that quilting is one of my passions? I've shown you a few of my projects on my blog but in reality it is something that is very important to me. I try to quilt every day (even if for just a few minutes here and there, or when the little one is napping). I have many, many projects on the go and love to spend as much time as I can in my craft room (which is getting some updates that I will share with you when they are done!).



This quilt is a Fig Tree pattern. It's a classic Log Cabin quilt done in warm fall tones with the classic red center. I stitched in the ditch around the coloured parts of the block, and did a stipple pattern in the cream parts of the block.

This is the first time I have free motion quilted on a larger quilt and while there are many mistakes, I'm very happy with how it turned out. Practice makes perfect!



I also wanted to share the talents of one of my Instagram friends, Jen. She just started a new sweet blog called Apple and Orchard, and is having a giveaway of one of her beautiful creations. Please visit her and show her how amazing and supportive this blogging community is!

I'll be back soon with another kitchen post. We've finished up a few details in the kitchen which I'm excited to show you!

Have a wonderful day!

Linking my quilt to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.

17 comments:

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

The quilt is amazing!! I can't imagine making one.
Hugs, Gee

Debra Oliver said...[Reply to comment]

I love your beautiful quilt!! Log Cabin is one of my favorite designs! Hope you'll come by for Be Inspired this thursday to join in on the party!

Jen Ham said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I can't believe you promoted me on your blog! I have tears in my eyes for your support! Thank you so very much! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
xo
Jen

Stacy @ Sweethearts + Sweet Tarts said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful quilt!! I love the colors and pattern.

Julie @ followyourheartwoodworking said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful quilt, Andrea. I'm a quilter too, but it's been years since I made one.

Leslie said...[Reply to comment]

Lovely! Gorgeous colors and it looks so soft:) Looking forward to seeing your kitchen updates.

sweet violets said...[Reply to comment]

Love how you designed this quilt and the beautiful play of colors, nice!!!

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilt is beautiful! I didn't realize that you quilt every day. No wonder you're so good at it. I've never made a quilt before. My husbands late grandmother used to quilt a lot so we have some of her creations. I'm sure yours will stay in the family for generations to come.

susan@avintagefarmwife said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilt is lovely. The log cabin is one of my most favorite patterns, and I really like the way you have designed this one!

Connie said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilt is absolutely amazing.
It makes me want to curl up with it and a good book. Maybe something Amish about quilters :)
You have an incredible talent.
Thank you for sharing.
Your blogging sister, Connie :)

Wild Oak Designs said...[Reply to comment]

It is simply wonderful! It goes with every decor and it is wonderful!!
Nancy

Michelle Jamieson said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea it's so beautiful! I used to quilt too - many years ago, before I had kids and when they were little. Now I have no time anymore but who knows, maybe someday. When I saw your log cabin quilt in these colors I was immediately drawn to it - I LOVE this quilt. I love how you displayed it on the old wooden ladder too.
Michelle / newengland-style.com

BlueClearSky Elizabeth said...[Reply to comment]

So very pretty, Andrea! Log cabin is always my favourite pattern and your colour combo with the stippling is gorgeous.

White Weathered Hutch, said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilt is lovely!! Welcome to the quilters world. I'm also an avid quilter.

Mary Deckert said...[Reply to comment]

Your quilt is so pretty! I love Fig Tree patterns ~ so ingenious! You did a great job on the FMQ! It's so hard with big quilts.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...[Reply to comment]

GORGEOUS!!! Do you do work for others? Would love one like this!!!
Blessings,
Cindy

Shar said...[Reply to comment]

Gorgeous Quilt! Just wondering if your logs are 1.5", 1" finished? Thanks!