Monday, September 23, 2013

Details on our kitchen renovation: part 2

We've been enjoying beautiful fall weather. Crisp and cool in morning and evening but sunny and warm days. Ahhh I love fall! We have a few facelift projects in the works for the stairway, craft room and nursery. Some involve simple decor changes, while others are pretty major undertakings! As soon as the weather is too blustery to be out in the garden, my mind always shifts back to indoor projects. A summer of outdoor projects always makes me keen to get back to our indoor projects!

Onto the topic at hand..... More kitchen details! Let's get started!

Counter top:

We originally wanted to save money and re-use our granite. We ended up selling it to the people who bought our cabinets, and I was secretly pretty happy about this! It allowed me to get my dream counters: wood island top and marble perimeters.

 
Here is a good view of the marble we used. I also wanted to show you this pretty shelf that was added since I last took a picture of this area. It totally finishes off this cupboard.



Here you can see the island top next to the marble perimeter.




You can read all the details about our wood top here.

Our marble is Danby White, Vermont marble, in a honed finish. I looked at many different types of marble, but as soon as I saw this slab, I knew immediately. I wanted a whiter marble (many were quite yellow), with subtle veining.

There is a lot to think about when choosing marble for the kitchen. My best advice is to do your research and know the pros and cons. I found these two posts from these popular bloggers to be very informative:

Joan, from For the Love of a House
Tina, from The Enchanted Home

Personally, I LOVE our marble counters. We did pay $500 extra for a 15 year warranty against staining. So far, there has been red wine, raspberries, olive oil, lemon juice etc etc and NO stains. Etching, yes. However, unless you know what you're looking for, and look under a certain lighting, at a certain angle, you can't see the etching. We really use our kitchen. 3 kids one husband: nuff said. Our counters have so far stood up to whatever is thrown at them.

There is nothing like the soft, cool, velvety feel of marble.

Sink and Faucet:

One of my regrets is not being able to install a farm style sink (long story but basically by the time we knew we weren't reusing the old counters and could therefore put in a farmhouse sink our cabinets were built. The sink cabinet was built to accommodate an undermount sink, not a farm sink) We did go with an undermount double stainless, which still looks nice.

Our faucet has also been a bit of a disappointment.

Holly suggested the beautiful Rohl faucet, but I was scared off by the price. We ended up with this Moen, which is by no means cheap, but about half the cost of the Rohl. I love the look, but it isn't as great of quality I would expect from a Moen, or the price we paid. I now wish we splurged on the Rohl.


We still need to get our water filtration system installed (the extra hole in the marble). It's those final details that seem to take forever!
Appliances:

We kept all of our previous appliances, with the exception of the oven/stove top. We really, really wanted a gas range, and ended up reconfiguring the layout to accommodate our new Viking 36" range. This was a big splurge, but we LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I'm forever now going to want/need/have to have a professional gas range to cook on. What a difference!




Lighting:

We were dealing with pot lights, pendants over the bar counter, dining room and breakfast nook (which are completely open to the kitchen), and island lighting. That's a lot of lights in one area!
The previous lights were nice, but they ALL matched every other light in the house.

Our challenge was to find fixtures for all these spots, that didn't match, but were complimentary to each other.

Holly had put the Bolton lantern (Pottery Barn), and brass pendants (Visual Comfort) on the original design board. As soon as I saw them, I HAD to include these in our kitchen-I was in love!
It was a bit of a risk, since the finishes are different, but we tried to tie in the brass pendants with the brass hardware on the island and nook cabinets. We did want to keep the dining and nook lights more simple, so went with orb chandeliers from Pottery Barn ( Armonk). They are gorgeous, but don't compete with the more showy lantern and pendants. I couldn't be happier with our choices.

Dining Room light: Armonk 6 arm, Pottery Barn


Breakfast Nook: 3 arm-Armonk {and a sneak peek of some fall decorating.....details on my next post}


Breakfast Bar: Visual Comfort pendant:

I still can't show you a great picture of them in place. I made a very expensive boo boo when having the drywaller place the holes. The lights were backordered for several months, but I had the drywaller here for other jobs so went ahead and had him cut the new holes and patch the holes from the previous pendants. I did mock-ups of the lights and held them in place but still they ended up being too close! I'm sick about it-a very bad, expensive mistake since our ceiling is totally open in the great room and would have to be completely painted to match the patched areas. We have an alternate plan that we hope to get to this fall. Once it's done and the spacing is fixed, I will be sure to post a better picture. They are totally fabulous lights and such statement pieces!
 
Island-Bolton Lantern Pottery Barn:
 

 
This one is a top contender for my favorite. I'm quite obsessed with lanterns lately and would love one in every room-or perhaps that would be too much? =)

You can read some more details about the lighting here.

To read about my complete kitchen reveal, go here.
To read part one of the renovation details, go here.

I have almost exhausted my posts on my new kitchen but have one more in store for you: Accessories and organization. That's a fun topic and I'm excited to show you what I did behind those cupboard doors.

Linking my kitchen details to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.




15 comments:

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Wow, this is stunning, I love every single detail. I so agree with you about the counters. they definitely are a dream. Beautiful redo. I would love for you to link up to my Inspire Me party that will go live this afternoon. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Junkchiccottage said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful. Just beautiful. I love that light fixture over your island. Where did you get the wide check drapes. I love those and have been looking for some like it.
Kris

Jen Ham said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, your kitchen is absolutely A-MAZ-ING!!! The Viking area with the tile is primo! I love wood counters and the marble is so very sophisticated. Wow! Your kitchen needs to be in a magazine...your whole home needs to be in a magazine!!! xo Jen

Sydney // Anewall said...[Reply to comment]

Such a gorgeous kitchen ... we love all things white & wood accents!

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...[Reply to comment]

Your kitchen is beautiful, thanks for sharing the details.
We recently remodeled our guest bathroom and have carrara marble on the floors, walls, and vanity top...LOVE IT! It is polished as we wanted the shine, has etched some but we don't mind that at all!

We are about to begin our kitchen remodel and will have marble there too...I will be thrilled if our remodel turns out half as wonderful as yours!

Hope you'll hop over and share at Amaze Me Monday...

Blessings,
Cindy

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I always enjoy seeing photos of your newly renovated kitchen! Loved reading more about the details of it. Love your countertops and sink! I wish I could get a new sink one day. Mine needs to be refinished or replaced.

Deidre Gilchrest said...[Reply to comment]

Ok so when can I move in???? lol BEAUTIFUL!! the LOVE is in the details!

Ryann Hoyer said...[Reply to comment]

Who wouldn't want to have a white kitchen after seeing your photos? It's so amazing! With proper lighting, accessories, and paint, you'll end with a cozy and inviting kitchen. I'm sure you enjoy preparing your meals here, don't you? Thanks for the photos. I'll use your tips in my next kitchen remodel.

#YanceyCompany.com

the polished pebble: said...[Reply to comment]

LOve your kitchen!!! Just wonderful and the details are nothing short of amazing!

Cheers, Kelley

Dear Lillie said...[Reply to comment]

Absolutely stunning, Andrea!

purplemonkey said...[Reply to comment]

The kitchen looks fabulous. Very inspirational! Can you tell us where you got the curtains in your dinning room? The big check is super cute.

Allison @ Main St. Cuisine said...[Reply to comment]

Okay, I could totally get lost strolling around your blog. Everything is just beautiful (including your lovely, new kitchen).

Have a wonderful week!
Allison

gena said...[Reply to comment]

What an absolutely beautiful kitchen! I love the different counter tops and the special touches through out. It looks stunning - yet it is obviously a family home... GREAT job!

gena

Arthur Bryant said...[Reply to comment]

Wow! That finished kitchen does look gorgeous. I do have to hand it to you guys for making such great choices. I particularly love the marble countertop as I think it both looks classy and elegant, yet very functional as well. Good job, Andrea.

Arthur Bryant

carol jane said...[Reply to comment]

Your kitchen is stunning. The marble is amazing. Your dining room wall color is so pretty. Would you mind sharing the color/brand? Thanks!