Monday, October 14, 2013

Autumn Touches in Our Home

I usually start adding fall touches around the beginning of September, and slowly add a few Halloween touches in October. I figured it was about time to show you what I've done this year!

Here is a list of the things I like to do to usher in fall, my favorite season of the year.

Adding Fall Touches in My Home:

1. Seasonal dishware, such as brown transferware:










2. Plants such as Mum's or begonias in vibrant oranges, rusts, whites:

Doesn't this Mum look fabulous in the urn? I found this image on Pinterest (no link to original source). I must remember to do this next year!


3. Adding comfort and warms with blankets, throw pillows and textiles:




4. Candles, warmers or anything to add a wonderful spicy scents. Right now my favorite is Cinnamon Vanilla-yum!



5. Pumpkins, gourds, apples, squash-not only to eat, but also to display!


I used this scheme in the mantel this year, also:



 

6. Elements of nature such as branches, pinecones, and nuts:

 
 


7. Preparing meals and drinks that usher in the season: lattes, teas, soups, and stews.


A well stocked coffee and tea bar. Oh, and there's apple cider too if you'd prefer!

A few of my absolute favorite soups are Pumpkin Chipotle Soup, Pumpkin Sage Soup and Prawn and Chicken soup. All are incredibly delicious, and nutritious!

Pumpkin sage soup

8. A festive entry to greet guests:



9. Seasonal crafting:


A small wall hanging to bring some autumn fun to the craft room.


Hand made velvet pumpkins. I've always admired these, but thought I could recreate them myself at a fraction of the price. The key is using real, beautiful velvet, and stuffing them with a heavy weight material, such as ground walnut shells, in addition to regular stuffing. It makes the shape more filled out, and they have a more luxurious, weighty feel to them. I've made 5 of these now, in varying colours. I found more great, interesting shaped stems that I will dry this year so I can make more next year...It's addicting!

I also love to do seasonal crafts with the kiddos. These don't need to be elaborate projects. Hit the dollar store and there are all sorts of fun, quick crafts for them to enjoy!

10. A wee bit of spook added in for fun!


Admittedly, I am not much of a Halloween decorator. I do love Halloween, but only put out a few things, mainly for the enjoyment of the kids.

Thanks for taking this little tour of my Fall Home!

Linking my fall home to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.


16 comments:

Jenny said...[Reply to comment]

So pretty! You must really be having fun decorating with that gorgeous new kitchen too! :-)

Jen Ham said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, Your home absolutely lovely! The wall hanging for the craft room is beautiful!! I am not a halloween decorator either...I do pumpkins and we have a black cat "thingy" on the front porch! xo Jen

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...[Reply to comment]

Your home is stunning and I love how you put your vignettes together. So pretty and creative. I would love for you to link up to Inspire Me this afternoon. Party goes live at 2:30 PT. www.astrollthrulife.net Hope to see you there. Hugs, Marty

Patty Rumaker said...[Reply to comment]

Your house looks perfect for fall, just the right amount of fall decor. I especially love the urn on your front porch. I have been wanting to make some velvet pumpkins and think I might just have to do just that.
Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, I love the added fall touches such as the brown transferware. I'm in love with your checked drapes.

Junkchiccottage said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea,
I love seeing pictures of your home. It is so pretty and I so love those drapes. I know you told me you had them made. They are just gorgeous. Your fall decor is so pretty.
Kris

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

You've added some wonderful Fall elements to your home! I love the brown transferware and the pretty pillows and natural elements you used. I know you must really be enjoying this time of year with your new decor!

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful Fall home! I am swooning over the brown transferware....

Gee Singh Newbanks said...[Reply to comment]

Beautiful Fall home! I am swooning over the brown transferware....

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea love all your Fall touches...especially your brown transferware!

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Love all of your fall touches Andrea! They are truly beautiful.

Shelia said...[Reply to comment]

Fall looks good at your house! I love your porch and that built in cabinet is gorgeous and I love how you've dressed it. I need those dishes! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Katie said...[Reply to comment]

Your home is so gorgeous, love your kitchen and all your details.

Finding Home said...[Reply to comment]

Oh Andrea - your home is so lovely - beautiful, but yet I feel I could curl up on the couch with a coffee and a quilt - that you made of course!

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...[Reply to comment]

You have a beautiful home. I saw it on Marty's blog and I wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed you being featured. I will be following you to see all your DIY projects.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Mary

Mom of 3 said...[Reply to comment]

I love the idea of leaving tea cups in the flour and sugar canisters.

http://explorationsincreativity.blogspot.com/