Sunday, November 3, 2013

Kitchen Renovation Part 3: Organization

This is the last of my posts on my newly remodeled kitchen. Today I wanted to show you behind the closed cupboards and drawers so you can see how I organized my kitchen.

Joan did a wonderful post about her kitchen organization, and many of her ideas inspired mine. I especially loved how she used those Walmart baskets to organize cutlery and other kitchen tools, but sadly, I couldn't find them in any of our Walmart stores.

Instead, I used a combination of custom and inexpensive drawer inserts.

For example, we had custom wood inserts made from our kitchen cabinet installers for our knives and cutlery:




However, I used inexpensive bamboo organizers in other drawers:



I found these at Costco. They are great since they can be modified to suit your needs....you can add or remove dividers, and slide them in or out to adjust to the size of your drawer.

I put all of my baking supplies in this one area.



Canisters from Walmart hold sugar and flour, and the small bowls above hold salt, pepper, lavender sugar and cinnamon sugar.

This drawer is devoted to items most often used for baking, and I took Joan's advice and separated my measuring spoons. I have also bought several sets so I don't have to keep washing in between measurements.



The cupboard above holds mostly goods for baking, and all my cookie cutters are on the highest shelf, since they are the least often used. The white plastic bins are from Ikea. They are found in the kitchen section, and come in this size and a larger one. I have bought many for the cupboards and pantry, and they are perfect for containing all those odds and ends that otherwise seem to scatter in your cupboards. For instance, one of those holds all my birthday candles, and another, cookie sprinkles and food colouring.



The cupboard below is divided to hold cookie trays, baking sheets etc.



My coffee area has often used supplies in the old wooden tool caddy, but many more teas, coffees and supplies such as the bean grinder, live in the cupboard and drawers right next to the machine.



Cookbooks live on the other side of the cupboard, but given my tendency to collect cookbooks, I can see myself running out of room here soon!


My spice drawer in my old kitchen was one of those narrow, pull out drawers next to the stove top. I thought it was great, but I love this one so much better! I hadn't realized how awkward it was to find the spices and read the labels. With this style of spice drawer, it is all easily visible.

Another trick I learned (probably from another blog, but I can't remember now!) is to roll your tea towels. I can fit so many more into the drawer by doing this:



If you'd like to see my previous kitchen posts, you can find the reveal here, part 1 here, and part 2 here.

If you follow my Instagram, you will have already seen my new piece of art for the dining room (thank you all who gave me your input!!). I have something on order for above the print, and will be sure to show you all the changes once they're done. Here's a sneak peek for now:


Linking my kitchen organizing ideas to these parties:


I'd love for you to follow along with me on Instagram,  Pinterest, and Twitter.

13 comments:

Coastal Cottage Dreams said...[Reply to comment]

Great ideas for organizing your cupboards. Love the ideas of rolling dishtowels in the drawers! Now I need to go to my drawer and do the same!

Mama Sue said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I have to stay super organized because my kitchen is a small galley kitchen so every inch counts. I love drooling over your kitchen!

Vintage Home said...[Reply to comment]

What a fabulous Kitchen you have ...seriously such a delightful beautiful cozy room! Great organization ideas and love the coffee bar!

Junkchiccottage said...[Reply to comment]

Love your fabulous kitchen. Those bamboo drawer organizers are great I am going to check those out at Costco. Everything is beautifully organized. Great job.
Kris

Mary@mydogsmygardenandmary said...[Reply to comment]

WOW - how great to have everything so organized. Love all the dividers in your drawers. Beautiful kichen.
Mary

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea I wish my drawers were that organized! Loving your kitchen btw. I

Kelly said...[Reply to comment]

I love your kitchen! You're so lucky to have all that space to organize things so efficiently. I love how you have a full drawer devoted to spices and how you were able to organize your kitchen gadgets. I love the tip on folding your towels like that too. That horse artwork is beautiful in your dining area. It looks great next to the checked drapes.

Jen Ham said...[Reply to comment]

Your kitchen is a dream! I love looking into others' pantries! Love, love, love! xoxo Jen

Pamela said...[Reply to comment]

Oh Andrea your home is just a dream! Fabulous , beautiful and lovely.
Love love it all! You must pinch yourself everyday to have this magnificent home!!!

Pamela xo

Allison @ Main St. Cuisine said...[Reply to comment]

Thanks for all of the lovely inspiration today, Andrea! I especially loved your idea of rolling my linen towels. So simple, but makes things so much neater. I have some kitchen organizing to do (especially my pantry!).

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...[Reply to comment]

Andrea, what nice storage in your kitchen. I LOVE the horse picture.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...[Reply to comment]

Your kitchen is stunning...I love the baking center and your window panels. Actually I love it all but those are my favorites!

prakash sharma said...[Reply to comment]

Kitchen Designers Sydney -To take care of the kitchen designing needs of our clients, wonderful Kitchen Designs Sydney are offering our clients the finest quality Kitchen Interior Designing services.